cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media belongs to two media server

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Hi,

I've a media that belongs to two media server, that is, when I perform bpmedialist on both master and media server (e.g. "bpmedialist -m xx" and "bpmedialist -m xx -h xx"), both respond with the ouput of different expiry date. Someone must have screw up the MediaDB by using vmchange or whatever on the media server.

The problem is this media, which belongs to 2 media server, already had images written to it and I've to fix this problem asap as it causes some customised scripts to fail. :(

Anyone had experience dealing with such problem?
How to I de-assign this media from another media server without affecting (or expiring) the images and the assignment of the correct media server?
Is it save to use "vmdelete -m xx -h xxx" to remove the unwanted media entry at the incorrectly assigned media server?

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Hi,
You can use bpmedialist -mcontents to find the correct expiration date of media and other important attributes.The command bpmedialist -mcontents actually reads the media instead of referring the NBU database.
Or go to Reports->Media Contents on GUI.
From this you can determine which media server is giving correct data.
May then you can delete the wrong entry.

Regards,
Deepak.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
The content of listing using bpmedialist is correct, but the media is assigned to 2 media server. How do I de-assign from one of the media server without touching the rest of the content?

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Are you using NBU 5.0 or NBU 5.1? I want to know which field/cmd output tells us that media is assigned to 2 media servers. For pre-NBU 6.0 only the database on the Master Server matters.

br,
Deepak.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Please read:
Media Manager error 94: "Volume not in specified pool" - scenarios and solutions
http://support.veritas.com/docs/247898

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Very Useful Data. The doc seems to confirm what i said.
Thanks a Lot!

Br,
Deepak.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Thanks for the document, its very useful. Although my scenario is not exactly the same but I make use of one of the solution to correct the inconsistency of the MediaDBs.

I think my scenario is when media was manually expired and de-assigned after using for testing, coincidently and in a short interval, our operator move it to another volume pool for production use. And I believe there's some latency in NBU when updating or sync-ing the VolDB & MediaDB of master & media servers that allow such scenario to happen.

Anyway, my problem is solved and thanks to Bob and Deepak for helping :)

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Ops, supposed to click the "Correct" button for Bob but was accidentally awarded to Deepak.... ...
Anyway to revert?

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Thanks for the points!

Stumpr2
Level 6
Chia,
No problem. I get lots of points. Perhaps I was helpful in another one of your posts :)