cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media server IP change

epsilon22222
Level 4

Hey all,

I wanted to propose a quick question to you all regarding changing the IP address of a media server.  I understand that the hostname is an integrated variable in the Netbackup process and I understand that I will not be changing that without having to rebuild the media server.  I wanted to see if there would be any harm if I simply changed the IP address? I understand also that all of the client hosts files will need to be updated accordingly as well as the master and any other media server that may need to contact it.  Is there any problems with this approach?

Just trying to see if I should just end up decomissioning it and making a new one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

your approach is perfectly fine.. as netbackup moves with Hostname.

just go ahead and change the IP address.. 

and you know that  all of the client hosts files will need to be updated accordingly as well as the master and any other media server that may need to contact it

so you are good to go... 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla

your approach is perfectly fine.. as netbackup moves with Hostname.

just go ahead and change the IP address.. 

and you know that  all of the client hosts files will need to be updated accordingly as well as the master and any other media server that may need to contact it

so you are good to go... 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree - no problem.

Maybe good idea to deactivate media server before the change, then, after change and reboot of media server, clear master server host cache (bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache), then reactivate media server.

epsilon22222
Level 4

Sounds good, thanks you two. 

For clearing the host cache, I believe the master server services need to be off for that, correct?

RamNagalla

No, master server services does not need to turn of to clear the cache...

you can do that when the services are running..

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

As Nagalla mentioned service do not need to be down. You can run bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache any time you like. The system will do it every 60 minutes though.

epsilon22222
Level 4

Ah, I see! Thanks all!