cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media to return to site?

blurred365
Level 3

Running NBU 7.1 on Windows 2003 R2 x64

I’m looking for a way to list all media that I can bring back on site once it’s passed its retention period. I have an offsite Volume Pool that all my media belongs to.

I’m using Vault management and this sends me a mail but only lists anything once and for that day only. If I want to run a report independently I don’t seem to be able to do this.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

You can run only a report from Vault profile using "vlteject -report -profile PROFILENAME" in backup selection of vault policy.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A real easy way is to go to the volume pool in the admin console - sort by time assigned and all tapes that do not have a time assigned are ready for you to bring back on site

Hope this helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

To know beforehand which tapes will expire when, run 'Tape Summary' report with Verbose option selected.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

(i.e. not enough tapes!) I threw together a script incorporating the bpmedialist command to show which tapes were next due to expire (they could then be manually expired if the need arose)

This had the added advantage(s) of sorting the output by what is due to expire next & also (for us) giving the volume pool (which gave an indication of which "cupboard" they'd be in.

Obviously, per Marianne's post, this needs to be run in advance before the media expire.

bpmedialist -mlist -l | awk '{print $1, $7}' | sort +1 -2 | head -21 > /tmp/expire_next.tmp
echo "MEDIA   EXPIRY DATE\t\t\t    VOLUME POOL"
echo "******\t************************\t********************"
cat /tmp/expire_next.tmp|
while read MEDIA EXPIRY
do
EXPIRE_DATE=`bpdbm -ctime ${EXPIRY}|cut -c 14-`
VOLUME_POOL=`vmquery -m ${MEDIA} | grep "volume pool:" | awk '{print $3}' `
echo "${MEDIA}\t${EXPIRE_DATE}\t${VOLUME_POOL}"
done 

[[as a side note - it only produced output for the first 21 tapes (head -21) as that's what fitted on the 'page']]