Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media unavailable, but it is in the scratch pool

Richard_van_Den
Level 4
Hi All,

We're running NB 5.1MP3 and on most of our tapes we're getting a message like:

media id 000891 is unavailable (in a DOWN drive, misplaced, or not available for another reason), attempting retry with different media id

This happens when a duplicate is being attempted (Global Attributes duplicates is set to 2). The media being requested is actually in the scratch pool.

Can anyone give me a hint/solution to what is going wrong? The library we are using has only one drive (LTO2) and the backup is made to a disk-staging stu.
Also I noticed one of the media being recognized as DLT2 instead of HCART2.

Thnx,

Richard.
4 REPLIES 4

MayurS
Level 6
Hi,

Check whether you are able to view the tape in the volume group that is configured for HCAT2 medias.

List_Man
Level 4
Check whether tapes are properly deassigned. If tapes are not deassigned well you will see an assign date in the Netbackup management console. Only when tapes are free to assign, you or netbackup can move them to another pool.

Remind that when doing a duplicate it is convenient to use the same media server and retention period as the policy that normally writes to the tapes in the pool.

In this way Netbackup appends backup images to what it has on an already used tape in the pool.

Richard_van_Den
Level 4
Sorry for the delay in answers, but somehow when I checked the suggestions you've both made the problems seemed to have dissapeared without apperent reason.

So: case closed, thanks for the replies.

MayurS
Level 6
GR8!!!