cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate DSU to Different NBU Media Server

JustinLP
Level 2

Hi all. I've got a question hopefully someone can help me out with so that I can avoid opening a support call.

My master and media servers are all running NBU 6.5.5 on Windows Server 2003 (x86). Temporary disk staging is being used for roughly 1/3 of our clients, though initially this percentage was much smaller. As I said, it's temporary staging, as hours after the jobs complete, the images are duplicated to tape on a daily basis. 

All six DSUs actually reside on our SAN, and are LUNs mapped to one single media server (out of a total of six media servers). The problem is that now that one media server (that hosts the DSUs) is getting overloaded during the window in which our full backups are performed. I'd like to spread the DSUs across a couple more of our media servers in order to distribute the load during times of heavy volume.

If I detach one of the DSUs from one media server and attach it to another, all data on that disk can remain, as my plan isn't to destroy the SAN disk and recreate it. Instead, I just plan on attaching it to another media server, so all images that were there before will remain, they'll just reside on another server.

Is there any problem with going about it this way, or should I manually expire all images on those disks prior to detaching them and moving them to other servers? If it's preferred that I manually expire all images, is there any drawback to doing this (other than longer restore times)?

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

You can't move DSU to different media server. First you should to expire all images, delete storage unit, connect LUN to new media server and create new storage unit.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

You can't move DSU to different media server. First you should to expire all images, delete storage unit, connect LUN to new media server and create new storage unit.

JustinLP
Level 2

Thanks! I appreciate the your help!