cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Master/Media Server from Solaris 10 to RHEL6

Bernd_Nies
Level 2

Hello,

We have a backup infrastructure that consists of a single master and media server as follows:

• Symantec Netbackup 7.1(Master & Media Server)
  • Fujitsu Primepower 450 with Solaris 10 3/05
  • Quantum PX506 tape library with 4 LTO3 tape drives

Recently our Quantum tape library broke beyond repair and the new library (Oracle STK500 with LTO5) requires five fibrechannel ports and we didn't want to purchase additional fibrechannel cards for the old Solaris server. We would like to migrate our backup infrastructure to the following setup:

• Symantec Netbackup 7.5.0.3 (Master & Media Server)
  • HP Proliant DL380 G6 with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3
  • Oracle STK500 tape library with 4 LTO5 tape drives

What are the required steps to migrate the entire configuration, policies, client list and catalogs) from the old server to the new so that we can restore from older LTO3 tapes? Hostname and IP address are different since the old backup server is still in use for backing up servers to NFS storage. The procedure described in [1] does not work for us.

Best regards,

Bernd

[1] http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You have two choices (other than importing tapes....):

1. Use procedure in TECH77448:
a) Install new master with same hostname. IP address can be different
b) Install NBU to same installation path as old server and patch NBU to same level as old server.
c) Perform catalog backup to Disk Storage Unit on old server - NFS mount is ideal. Copy DR-file to same location. Stop NBU on old server.
d) Recover catalog on new system
e) Update IP address in DNS and/or all hosts files
f) Upgrade NBU.

2. Different hostname:
Contact Consulting partner.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Migration with hostname change requires assistance of consulting service provided by some Symantec Partners. Please ask Symantec available partners.

Only way I can think out without consulting service is to import all the tapes into new server. It will take a lot of time, and is painful work. By import, you can only migrate image catalogs. In general, other settings must be reconfigured by hand. Policy can be copied by copying /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class, but others.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As per this TN, it is NOT possible to change the hostname of a master server, without the assistance of a Symantec partner.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

Regards,

Martin

Bernd_Nies
Level 2

Hi Yasuhisa,

Thanks for your reply. Hm, we have about 500 volumes in the inventory. Will imporing take about 1 hour reading time per LTO3 tape? This would take weeks.

And when the new server as the same hostname? I expected that a simple rsync of /usr/openv/netbackup/db would do it. Probably the old master server has to be updated to 7.5 before.

Best regards,

Bernd

Bernd_Nies
Level 2

Hi,

Unfortunately the catalog backup/restore methode described in [1,2] doesn't work for us because the tape library has been gone for several weeks. Using an old catalog backup is not very useful because in the meantime we were backing up to NFS storage on our Netapp filer.

I have reinstalled the new master backup server with RHEL 6.3 and gave it the same name but a temporary different IP address. I installed Netbackup 7.1 on the RHEL 6.3 system, the same we have on the old Solaris 10 system.

Will an rsync of /usr/openv/netbackup/db from the old backup server do? Or can the catalog backups be configure to be but on an NFS disk? I didn't find an option for this.

Regards,

Bernd

[1] http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

[2] http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you have backups contained in the catalog on the 'old' server and  new backup inforation on the 'new' server, then it is not possible to 'syns' the databases.

They could be 'merged' together, yes, but this still falls under a consulting task.

Martin

Bernd_Nies
Level 2

The new backup server is empty. It has no configuration yet. I installed it this morning.

But in the meantime I found out how to save the catalog backups to NFS share instead of tapes and hope the steps described in the disaster recovery section of the troubleshooting guide [1] will work.

Regards,

Bernd

[1] http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3683

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You have two choices (other than importing tapes....):

1. Use procedure in TECH77448:
a) Install new master with same hostname. IP address can be different
b) Install NBU to same installation path as old server and patch NBU to same level as old server.
c) Perform catalog backup to Disk Storage Unit on old server - NFS mount is ideal. Copy DR-file to same location. Stop NBU on old server.
d) Recover catalog on new system
e) Update IP address in DNS and/or all hosts files
f) Upgrade NBU.

2. Different hostname:
Contact Consulting partner.