cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Master Server to Media Server

wcrummer
Not applicable

Hello,

My Netbackup 6.0 Master server will be moving to another location and will not be able to support my current NB environment. I want to make my Media server into a Master server. Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury to rename the media server as that of the current Master server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

warren

3 REPLIES 3

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

There is no easy way (nor a documented hard way) of migrating a media server to a master server without changing the name to be the same as the original master.

Unless you're willing to spend a lot of money on Professional Services, you must keep the same name.  From a very high level from the top of my head, do the following:

1. decommision the media server using documented procedures
  2. back up the NetBackup catalog from your master
  3. Shut down the original master
  4. Change the name of your media server to be the same as the original master
  5. Re-install NetBackup
  6. Restore the catalog
  7. Re-run the device configurations

Simply put, Symantec does NOT support renaming a master server.  It's very complex..

DAffinito
Level 2

Ed is exactly right. While it's possible, support can't help with that. You'll want to follow the steps he has up there

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

I suppose 'IF' the EMM server was on another server, this could have been achieved more easily -

Which had made me wonder what the actual purpose of a tab in the  Master Server properties, Servers tab - 'Make Master' really was for -

Have a look at an extract from the Help Section from Netbackup regarding master Server properties -

Table to view viewed:

The EMMSERVER entry must be present on all master servers that share the EMM host. The table shows how meadow is listed as the EMMSERVER on havarti, study, as well as on meadow.

So, which would be more feasible to create a new EMM server or Professional Services...indecision