cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Master to New Hardware

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
Does anyone happen to know where a good document may be that details the steps for migrating a master server over onto new hardware? Hardware warranty is up and it's time for a refresh!

Current setup is NBU 6.0 MP3.

Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

Stumpr2
Level 6
check the troubleshooting guide under DR

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
Thanks Bob. That process could get me there, but I'm thinking there just HAS to be an easier way without going through the "disaster" method--especially since I'm going to all of the effort to replace this hardware prior to the disaster! :)

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
I was never able to find a document, but here's what I did. It worked perfectly.

1. Build out new server with temporary name & IP address. Make sure all connected backup hardware is configured and working.
2. Install Veritas NetBackup on new server (plus latest MP), same versions as original Master Server.
3. Stop all NetBackup services on both master servers
4. Copy entire contents of VERITAS program directory from old server to new server, overwriting everything. (If you've relocated any catalog info, copy it also.)
5. Export all Veritas registry keys on old server, and import them on new server.
6. Shut down old server.
7. Rename & re-IP new server to match old server.
8. Start all Veritas services on new server.
9. Verify all functionality.

I did this with NBU 5.0 MP4, and it worked perfectly (which surprised me, actually). In case of a disaster, you still have the old server to revert to, if necessary.

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I did basically the same thing with a UNIX box and it work. Replaced the hardware when going from 3.4 to 4.5. The only other thing I had to do was delete my drives then add them back. Well I did not do anything with the Registry. :)

AKopel
Level 6
I believe the catch here is because of the sybase database, you need to use the built in recovery tools for 6.0...
Might be worth a call to support to find out for sure....

Stumpr2
Level 6
the 6.0 comment is why I referred to the TS guide. But, I haven't read the 6.0 version of the TS guide...yet!

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
Just got off the phone with support and indeed it is the rebuilding of the Sybase DB that causes problems doing a simple file copy. Long live the EMM! :)

Stumpr2
Level 6
Ohhh for the blissfull days of bygone years and flat image files and xmotif.....