Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring unfinished replication progress

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Hello

Have somebody found a way to monitor the progress of unfinished replication ?

Know there is some reports in OpsCenter, but they all seem be on the complete images.

Where I am looking for: Kilobytes transferred, number of fragments transferred or simllar to tell me how far a long the image in progress is.

Have looked at nbstlutil/nbstl list options, the support site, connect and of course google search without luck.

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue
16 REPLIES 16

areznik
Level 5

If the replication is in progress there should be a Job in the Activity monitor? are you looking for something else?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Have you seen Omar script for UNIX 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-slp-backlog-report-and-troubleshooting

I know you are on Windows, but you may find inspiration.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I think what Michael is after is a method to determine progress, position, size, percentage done, ETA for active 'in flight' SLP and/or AIR replication.  Right Michael?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think you would need to go look around in the bpdm logs. Not the ones in /usr/openv/netbackup, but the ones in /disk/log/spac/appliance_name/blahblah (7.5.0.x / 7.6.0.x code) or the same type of location in /msdp/x/x/x/x/x (7.6.1.x code)

sdo

If we can identify which log entries are pertinent, then we may be able to script it.

Winldows DOS/cmd+VBcscript , or ksh/bah?

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Hadn't seen that article, very nice script and might port it to windows at some point.

Same "issue" as the OpsCenter reports, that is about full images.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Yes, would like to know how far along a replication is.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Preferly Powershell.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Can see that there is a lot of getJobBytesProcessed entries in this bpdm log, now I just need to figure out where the result is sent to.

RiaanBadenhorst

Can you post what it looks like. Don't have a aIR system at hand. Would be cool to see the output and if we can use it somehow.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Found ost_pxy_update_job_data entries in the netbackup bpdm logs, which seems to be information about kilobytes written on a replication.

Would be very useful if that information was send to the Job Details of replication jobs

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Looks like this:

06:02:33.239 [10360.10428] <2> ost_pxy_update_job_data: WROTE hostname_epochtime 287429 0 0.000 0

06:02:33.239 [10360.10428] <2> ost_pxy_update_job_data: WROTE hostname_epochtime 0 0 0.000 0

So think that you could use ost_pxy_update_job_data and backupid to find to actual kilobytes transferred

RiaanBadenhorst

Yes, that looks possible, you'll need to test and see if the figures look reasonable.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Just tested, sadly not as useful as I had hoped, as most of the ost_pxy_update_job_data: entries just contained 0 values after the backupid.

sdo

In this:

06:02:33.239 [10360.10428] <2> ost_pxy_update_job_data: WROTE hostname_epochtime 287429 0 0.000 0

...what does this "287429" field denote/signify?

tht is the KB transferred in tht bucket