cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move a 6.5 master/media server to new hardware?

rob_aronson
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Is there an easy/ best way to move a Netbackup installation from old hardware onto a new platform? All the images and catalogs were being accessed via iscsi so it's pretty easy to access them on the new host.

I saw one posting about installing the software to the new host and  taring up the /usr/openv directory. Anything else I need to do?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Stumpr2
Level 6

@Rob aronson wrote:

Is there an easy/ best way to move a Netbackup installation from old hardware onto a new platform?

Is the old and new hardware the same OS?

If not, you may need a new license.

rob_aronson
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Yes, the OS is the same type. Both installation are SuSE linux

Stumpr2
Level 6
The only supported way is to do a clean install of Netbackup on the new server and then import the catalog from the old server.

rob_aronson
Level 3
Partner Accredited
What about the policies and other info? Any way to move that?

Dion
Level 6
Certified
All configuration and backup information are included in the catalog backups.

rob_aronson
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thank you. 

What would be the steps needed to import the catalog? I've looked in the install guide, the adminI&II and the help system, I haven't seen anything directly about importing the catalog. Would that be the recover catalog wizard or something different?

I have the the same file systems mounted on my new host in the same mount points. That should include a location for a hot and cold catalog backup 

Thanks again

Dion
Level 6
Certified

It would probably be best to do an OFFLINE full catalog backup to you iscsi disk using the GUI to configure this (make sure that there is no activity).

Take a look at the bprecover.exe command to restore the catalog to the new server from your iscsi disk catalog backup.  If you have different hardware, you might need to reconfigure you media devices manually due to SCSI/Fibre paths etc.

You should also be able to find some documentation in the NetBackup Troubleshooting guide.

Cheers

spaigejr
Level 3
How about going from Solaris Sparc based to Windows?  Got some conflicting information.  Is it possible to move the catalog from Solaris to Windows?

Thanks!
Steve

Stumpr2
Level 6
DOCUMENTATION: How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/267137

Details:
Manual:
NetBackup DataCenter 4.5 System Administrator's Guide for Windows, Page: N/A
NetBackup DataCenter 4.5 System Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.0 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for Windows, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.0 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for Unix, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.1 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for Windows, Page: N/A
NetBackup 5.1 System Administrator's Guide, Volume I for UNIX, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.0 System Administrator's Guide for Windows, Volume 1, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.0 System Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Volume 1, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.5 Administrator's Guide for Windows, Volume 1, Page: N/A
NetBackup 6.5 Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume 1, Page: N/A

Modification Type: Supplement.

Modification:
As the needs and requirements for a NetBackup environment change, it may be necessary to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one Master Server or platform to another or to combine two or more NetBackup domains to form a single domain.  

While migration and merging is possible, NetBackup Support does not have the necessary resources and experience to properly execute this process.  NetBackup Support can assist in restoring the data back to the same original platform in the event of a failed attempt, but is not equipped to assist in these sorts of activities.  To insure data integrity and seamless operation, operations of this type must be performed by Symantec Consulting Services.

Symantec Consulting Services have developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements including the following scenarios:

• Merging of two or more domains
  • Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
  • Clustering of a non-clustered master server
  • Renaming of a Master Server
  • Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
  • Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system
  • Un-clustering a clustered master server
Given the nature of the information stored in the NetBackup catalogs and the potential for data loss, the process of moving or merging the NetBackup catalogs from one platform to another without the assistance of Symantec Consulting Services is not supported by the NetBackup Support organization.  

Symantec Consulting Services will assist customers by determining the correct approach to take, planning the activity and executing the plan successfully with minimum disruption to the operational environment.

Please contact a NetBackup Sales representative for assistance in engaging Symantec Consulting Services.  Please note, a migration of this sort must be a part of a conscious, planned, and permanent transition, and should not be part of a disaster recovery process or any part of a disaster recovery plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry Bob, but does this techdoc not fustrate you!

Every 3 years we refresh our hardware: SAN, Tape Media/Drives, Servers (Master) and subsequently the OS Platform that the master resides on has changed a couple of times.

And we are about to do it again. No way would I be shelling out for Symantec every 3 years for this.

Master Server migration must be an inclusion/ on the wish list for NetBackup 7.0 - its been too long.

Provide a Guide to do it! I've read nearly most of the tome that is the NetBackup Docs at least once if not twice in my NetBackup lifetime. It wouldn't be that difficult to follow. Not blantantly squeeze more money from us. We are NetBackup professionals and should be given the support or methods to perform this ourselves.

So how many of the NetBackup Forum members have actually got the Symantec/Veritas Services guys in to perform this?
And at what cost? Value for money?