cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving old media server to new media server

Rockey_jay
Level 4
Hi,

We are going to replace old media server with new media server. Unix group built new Solarsis 9 server, we need to install NB media server software and TLD tape library connected to the Old media server and that needs to connect and configure on this new server. Can anybody guide me what steps need to proceed for complete this task? Is there any pdf document  available starting from installation of NB till Library,tape drive configuration. This is the first time i am going to do this higher level work in Netbackup, pls help me.

Thanks,
Rockey
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6

Rockey jay wrote:
 So i can use Update_clients from master to upgrade my media server?

You cannot use update_clients to upgrade a media server. You must direct;y install NetBackup on a media server. Then you can also select to install all of the client software. that will allow you to push it to clients.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
Hi,

go ahead follow the DR process provided in NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide.

regards,
Srikanth.

Rockey_jay
Level 4
Hi,

Installation of NB media server done, now need to upgrade MP. and then connecting library and configuring the drives. So i can use Update_clients from master to upgrade my media server? Seems that script will affect all the clients on the master. Can anybody tell me what option i can use on this Update_clients to update only for this new media server.

Thanks,
Rockey

Stumpr2
Level 6
Rockey,
I've played around with that script before and finally figured it out.
Unfortunately I did not write down any notes.
Here is a start:

# update_clients -help
usage: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/update_clients [-ForceInstall -Install_Client_Bins -Install_ADC] \
                [-ClientList filename | hardware_type operating_system]
Also it is a shell script so you can see what it does by looking at the script.

Rockey_jay
Level 4
Bob,

At this point of time i have a doubt,  I have MP6 installed already on my master and media servers. Now if i apply the  command update_clients -ClientList  /tmp/clients on my master server. (Where i mention Hardware,OS and client (new mediaserver name) on the /tmp/clients). Will master server will update MP6 on this media server or i need to install the MP6 first and then apply this command? I guess we can apply any one of the option, pls correct me if i am wrong

Thanks,
Rockey

Stumpr2
Level 6
Here is some more info on update_clients

• /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/update_clients <hardware> <os>

Where <hardware> <os> is one of the following:

ALPHA OSF1_V5           HP9000-700 HP-UX11.00           HP9000-800 HP-UX11.00           HP9000-700 HP-UX11.11           HP9000-800 HP-UX11.11           IBMSerieslinux2.4           INTEL  Freebsd4.5           Linux  Redhat2.4           MACINTOSH MACOSXS10.2           RS6000 AIX4.3.3           RS6000 AIX5           SCO Unixware7.1           SGI IRIX65           Solaris Solaris7           Solaris Solaris8           Solaris Solaris9           Solaris Solaris_x86_7           Solaris Solaris_x86_8

Can use -ClientList /tmp/clients but /tmp/clients must be in form

Solaris Solaris8 <client name>

WARNING

update_clients called on its own attempts to update all clients.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Installing the Netbackup Client
  • /update_clients -ForceInstall -ClientList /tmp/clients.lst
    • requires that TMPDIR and TEMPDIR be set correctly

Stumpr2
Level 6

Rockey jay wrote:
 So i can use Update_clients from master to upgrade my media server?

You cannot use update_clients to upgrade a media server. You must direct;y install NetBackup on a media server. Then you can also select to install all of the client software. that will allow you to push it to clients.

Rockey_jay
Level 4
Bob,

Thanks a lot for your informations. I updated downloaded MP6 and installed on my net backup media server. Now next we need to proceed to configuring Library and drive after those physically connected to the server. I guess i need to use (./sgscan and then tpautoconfig -a) will update the TLD lib with drives?. Pls give your input if i am missing anything.

Thanks
Rockey