cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Tape Drives

James-FSI
Level 3
I can't seem to figure this out or find it anywhere.
Running Windows NetBackup 6.0MP5.  I have a very large D Drive on one of my Windows Server 2003 clients.  I would like to back up this D Drive to 2 tape drives simultaneously, but not with the same data, hopefully decreasing backup time.

Anyone have any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12

Stumpr2
Level 6
multistream with limits set on storage unit and policy

James-FSI
Level 3
Can you please clarify?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Enable use of multiple drive per backup, class, or client

James-FSI
Level 3
This doesnt really help me.
This will allow me to write the C Drive and D Drive concurrently.  What i need is to be able to write the D Drive alone to 2 drives at the same time.

Stumpr2
Level 6

James-FSI wrote:
This doesnt really help me.

Think about it and I'm sure you will be able to see that the same theory and method can apply to doing just the /D drive. NetBackup admins do this regularly. Build some test policies and play with it.

James-FSI
Level 3
That is what i am looking for help with.  I have been fooling with policies for a couple of days and I can't get it to do this.  I have also yet to find any evidence anywhere of anyone else doing it.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
You really need learn how to come up with ideas.

So lets spell it out for you.... this is just one way you might do it.  now think of other ways.

you have the D drive.  you can make policies with multi streams by using the "New Stream" option in the Backup Selection.

so figure out how you want to split it up.
New Stream
D:\a*
D:\b*
D:\c*
New Stream
D:\d*
D:\e*
D:\f*

just make sure that how ever you come up with it that you COVER any NEW directorys that may be created!

the above would create two jobs.  if you want them going to two differnt tapes then you have to work on setting your storage units......

Warning.... you do NOT want too many jobs reading from the same drive.... that will slow your backups up because the drive could get too busy.

James-FSI
Level 3
Honestly and truthfully, thank you for the assistance here.  This is exactly what I was looking for and I appreciate it.

However, had I known how condescending the posters in this forum were, I would have gladly wasted my time in the support queue with a Level 1 tech.  Telling someone who is learning to drive to be creative is not going to help them learn. 
Alas, it is probably my fault as I expect people to be as helpful as I try to be to my customers.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
following technote along with the one Bob has provided can explain the process in detail.

What is Multistreaming and how is it turned on?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/267291

Stumpr2
Level 6

James-FSI wrote:
However, had I known how condescending the posters in this forum were, I would have gladly wasted my time in the support queue with a Level 1 tech.  Telling someone who is learning to drive to be creative is not going to help them learn. 
Alas, it is probably my fault as I expect people to be as helpful as I try to be to my customers.

James,

Don't be so hard on yourself. You'll do better. It just takes a while. You can't learn to drive if someone else is controlling the wheel, the gas pedal and the brake.

I just gave you the documentation two hours before you said this, 
"I have been fooling with policies for a couple of days and I can't get it to do this."

You gave up way too easily. You only had two hours (not two days) to follow the documentation. Hang in there and at the very least ask questions concerning the documentation. We will be glad to help you understand and will answer questions concerning the documentation that is provided. We will also try to help troubleshoot problems that arise.

Please feel free to come back and seek further advice. Just be prepared to follow through on our suggestions and be ready to provide observations, answers, and perhaps logging information.

Remember that everyone in this forum is a volunteer. We want to help but we simply cannot do it all for you.

Thank you,
Bob

Message Edited by Stumpr on 01-31-2008 11:45 PM

Stumpr2
Level 6

Rakesh Khandelwal wrote:
following technote along with the one Bob has provided can explain the process in detail.

What is Multistreaming and how is it turned on?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/267291

Excellent primer!

ahlip
Level 5
Hi James, My take to your unhappiness is the more experienced guys in this forum typically give you the direction as to how you can solve your issue, especially when you also give a fairly generic description of what you want.

There are a wealth of information officially and publicly available inclusive of more than 10 official admin guides and also knowledge base articles etc. You will then have some key words and rough direction to find v detailed info (and more!) on how the product can be customized to your exact needs.