cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local NDMP backup slow

Rahul_N_3
Level 2
Hi,

We are facing problem with NDMP backup. When the backup of a volume (having million no. of files) is taken from the master server (existing) and tape library attached to Netapp Filer, the backup performance is bad and sometimes the backup fails with error 13 (network error).

We installed additional master server on a desktop level machine (installed for testing) in the same network and we get very good performance in the same configuration.

Pls. help.

Regards

Rahul
4 REPLIES 4

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
Hi,
Following are links for error 13 -
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275189.htm
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/276941.htm
Which NetBackup version are you using?

Br,
Deepak.

Rahul_N_3
Level 2
Thanks for the reply.

But this is not applicable in our environment. Its a NDMP backup, as I have mentioned. Also the network settings are correctly configured.

Regards

Rahul

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
Rahul,

How many drives did you attach to NAS box?
Was it ever worked before?

When you NAS certainly there would be millions of files, netbackup tries to process all of them and some times if the respective volume has an issue it might faile with error 13 but in your case you have alredy confirmed that when you use another master it works fine.

NDMP nothing to do with master / media server load, it operates directly with NAS but you can try and checking for storage unit configuration in the master server and also check for the fragment settings.

I am just thinking, if any idea come across then i will post it.

Raghava

zippy
Level 6
Rahul,

NDMP is very fast way to backup a toaster.

works like this.

Tape drive is connected directly to filer.

master sends a command to Filer, filer then make a tar of the filers file system then dumps to tape. The filer needs to have 20% available space to hold the tar ball, if your filer does not have this available the backup to tape will become very very slow, and in some cases not work at all!

Patch NDMP, Server
check the Filers NDMP patch's and version.
Check configuration of filer

Usage: set_ndmp_attr
-auth
-robot
-verify
-probe (not available for NDMP V2)

JD