cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 5.0 - Vaulting Catalog Backup - Status 124

Colin_North
Level 6
Hi Guys,
I am using NBU 5.0 / MP4 on Windows 2000 Server with a Master server & 1 Media server. I am also using the add on Vault option for offsite tape management.

Every morning I run 2 x Vault Profiles, one for each of my tape libraries, to eject my overnight tapes. One of the profiles also backs up the Catalog files to tape and ejects this tape as well.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been experiencing problems (not every day) where the Catalog backup fails with a Status 124. When the both of the vaulting profiles run at 06:30 each morning there are no other active jobs, and whilst the profiles are running no other jobs/policies are scheduled to start.

If I get a Status 124, it can take a further 1, 2 or even 3 attempts for the Vaulting profile to create a Catalog backup tape successfully. Sometimes I even have to reboot the master and media servers. The problem is there's not set pattern, what works one day when I get a Status 124 doesn't work the next day. Then it will work without any problems for a couple of weeks.

I have previously spoken to Symantec support and all they could tell me was "not to run any other backups when the Catalog backup is running". I already knew this. There's no documentation on Symantec's site relating to this error, well any decent documentation.

Anybody have any clues? If not, I'll have to phone Symantec again.

I should be upgrading to NBU 6.0 in a couple of months.

Colin.
6 REPLIES 6

DavidParker
Level 6
Colin,
What kind of setup do you have on your catalog directories? Are any of them network/SAN?

Here is an interesting tech note:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275184
Status Code: 124 NetBackup database backup failed, a path was not found or is inaccessible. One or more of the paths specified in the catalog backup configuration could not be backed up.

Not sure if it will help, but it's something different.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Colin,
It's been awhile since I played with vault, but can't you define to make x amount of catalog backups to run at the same time in the same profile? Check it out. I am almost certain that there was an enhancement for this feature.

....but then, perhaps I was only dream'n of Stevie Nicks and NetbackupMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

DavidParker
Level 6
Might be a 5.0 thing, Bob.

I use Vault on 5.1 and have noticed some things:
The Catalog run for the vault seems to be 'hot'; other backups can/will run during the catalog.
2 Vault sessions cannot backup the catalog at the same time. I think you get a SC 125 (?)

That might all be particular to 5.1 though ...

Colin_North
Level 6
David,
None of my Catalog file locations are located on a SAN. I have one master & one media server where these files are located. My Vaulting Catalog backup is configured to backup the following folders to tapes:

master:C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Netbackup\db (size 34GB)
master:C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\var (size 68KB)
master:C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\database (size 656KB)
master:C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\images **
media:C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\var (size 52KB)
media:C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\database (size 404KB)
media:C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db (size 2.25MB)

** One interesting thing is that during the daytime I run several backups, and after each session of backups I run a Catalog backup to disk, I don't ever have any problems with this. This Catalog backup is configued as follows, and the "master:C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\images" is not specified, as this would be backed up by the line "master:C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Netbackup\db".

For the moment I have configured my Vaulting Catalog backup as follows:

Hope this makes sense. Colin.

Colin_North
Level 6
Bob,
In 5.0 Vault only one Catalog backup can run at any one time, there's only an option to specify multiple tapes, if your Catalog backup doesn't fit on one tape.

I know that a status 124 / 125 will occur if you try to run a Vaulting Catalog backup whilst another Catalog backup or existing backup job is running.

I have spoken to Veritas / Symantec tech support about this before and nobody has been able to offer any real help.

I'll be upgrading to 6.0 soon, so hot catalog backups will help.

Colin.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Colin,
You are absolutely right. I was thinking about the option to specify multiple tapes, if your Catalog backup doesn't fit on one tape. Sorry to have misinformed you.
Bob