cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.1 NDMP backup failed with error 13.

wizard_s32
Level 4

Hi,

We have a stream from NDMP backup failing with error 13 file read failed.. the storage space on that particular share is 45% free.

The backup starts writting but fails at a specific file number and kilobytes with the below pasted error.

11/03/2011 20:53:07 - begin writing
11/03/2011 21:04:46 - Error bptm (pid=5584) FREEZING media id G00819, too many data blocks written, check tape/driver block size configuration
11/03/2011 21:04:54 - end writing; write time: 0:11:47
file read failed  (13)

Kindly advice ...

9 REPLIES 9

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

R U facing this issue only with G00819 media ?? or with only specific drive ?? how many drive you have for NDMP backup ?

Let us know what NBU version & which NAS box u r using with model (EMC, Netapp, Hitachi).

Run below command on master server & post o/p.

<install path>\programe files\veritas\volmgr\bin\#> tpautoconf -verify <ndmp_hostname>

falti_manullang
Level 5
Partner

Solution

For doing a redirected restore of a LUN file:

1) In the target volume, create a Qtree with the same name where the source LUN file is.
2) Also in the target volume, create a LUN file with the same filename
3) Set this new LUN file to offline.
4) Launch the restore and specify only the root of the volume (/vol/Target-Volume-name/) and restore will work by overwriting the new LUN file.

NOTE: - The restore MUST go to the root of a volume or qtree.

Check this link for the detail.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH156880

wizard_s32
Level 4

your post is no way related to problem. Please dont spam

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

can you split 200 GB data size in to multiple strems in policy backup selection ??

example.. /Vol_1/ABC is 200 GB

you can split it ...

/Vol_1/ABC/XYZ (50GB)

/Vol_1/ABC/PQR (50GB)

/Vol_1/ABC/New_1 (50GB)

/Vol_1/ABC/New_2 (50GB)

for more in depth create a ndmpagent & bptm on master server in to /usr/openv/netbackup/logs with 777 permissions

wizard_s32
Level 4

Not an option to split ..Typo its approximately 800GB actually

I will try to have logs created as the other huge NDMP backups are running right now they will flood those logs if i create now.

BPTM on master would log all backups into it .. if we have 1000 backups consider the logs for them, i am sure this should not be drive related. I will however give it a try after cleaning drives.

I do guess this is a known bug like 84 on one odd streams of NDMP after nbu 7.1 but i cant find the article, waiting for symantec employee if any out there to reply on this thread?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

See Technote for Details:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH165850

There is also a hotfix available : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH170965

wizard_s32
Level 4

This is for error 84 bug, i know this already,  i need if there is an article for similar problem with symantec for error 13 ... thanks though!!

falti_manullang
Level 5
Partner

I'm not spam, i just put that post at the wrong thread.

I dont know how to edit.

Sorry for inconvience.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

This is an oldies from the troubleshooting guide but you never know:

Incorrect drive configuration. Verify the Media and Device Management and system configuration for the drive. For example, on UNIX the drive may be configured for fixed mode when it must be variable mode. See the NetBackup Device Configuration Guide for more information. This configuration often results in the media being frozen with a message “too many data blocks written, check tape and drive block size configuration.”

Very odd to get a 13 code when it clearly should be a 84 so i guess we need to see the logs to pin this one down