cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.5 has a drive control down problem

HowardYu
Level 4

Dear all,

My system is windows 2008 R2. NBU is 7.5. Library is SuperLoader 3.

In the beginning, the drive control is normal, however, after processing backup about 5 minutes, the drive control down has been happened.

I tried to reboot the server and library but not workable. The server and library which I purchased within one month.

Do you know why? I heard there is a bug between NBU 7.5 and SuperLoader 3??

Please advise, thanks.

Howard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The easiest way to diagnose tape hardware is by using the diagnostic utilities supplied by your tape hardware manufacturer. This information will be required to open a support ticket with your hardware supplier.

Here is the troubleshooting guide provided by Symantec. These diagnostics may not be accepted as valid evidence by your hardware supplier:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH169477

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What do the following logs show from the media server

bptm

robots

System event logs

Activity monitor details

See link in my signature to show how to set these up, I suggest verbose in vm.conf and create robot and drive debug files, I'd also set bptm verbose to 5 - all on media server.

Not familiar with Superloader, maybe th err 're is some issues u e but I'd be surprised as the library only has to respond to industry standard sci commands, and in fact the os sits between NBU and the library and drives anyhow, it's not impossible, but wouldn't be my first thought - that said I'll probably be proved wrong ....  

avinash59
Level 4

Hi Howard,

Could you please tell me what exactly the "drive control down" you are referring to. 

What I am thinking of the "drive control down" is that the drive is being marked down at the netbackup level. If this is the case, then it could be seen in the "vmoprcmd -d" output.

But before that could you provide the activity monitor details of the failed jobs on the drive.

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The easiest way to diagnose tape hardware is by using the diagnostic utilities supplied by your tape hardware manufacturer. This information will be required to open a support ticket with your hardware supplier.

Here is the troubleshooting guide provided by Symantec. These diagnostics may not be accepted as valid evidence by your hardware supplier:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH169477

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

We don't know it's a drive problem yet, could be the robot not loading/ unloading the drive that causes it to go down. 

HowardYu
Level 4

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

HowardYu
Level 4

Upload the error message, thanks.

Howard.

jim_dalton
Level 6

See if you can manually do tape management...use robtest and do some basic inventory / move tape to drive / move tape drom drive to storage slot and see what happens. If that works then robotics probably good, so you'll need to then test the drives(s) and your ability to write to them: stop netbackup activity and use robtest to put in a scratch tape then see if the OS can write to it, rewind it , eject it. Jim

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Thanks for the doc

That shows just the error, we nned to see what happens as the drives going from it's up state to down state.

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The hardware logs will also contain entries about move errors and picker errors.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you checked Windows Event Viewer System log for errors? 

Have you enabled logging as suggested by Martin?

We can see that the drive is down, but you need logs to determine the reason.