cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7: How to Move Dedup Data from one SAN to another.

mousehunt
Level 3

Hi,

We have a storage pool for dedup and it is running out of space. So what we plan to do is to move the dedupe data to a secondary SAN storage first. After we reconfigure the first SAN, we will then move the dedupe data from the secondary SAN back to the original SAN.

I have read the Symantec NetBackup™ Deduplication Guide but nothing is mentioned about this procedure.

Can someone with this experience guide me the way to do it?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

mousehunt
Level 3

Hi,

The above may not be detailed enough and I apologize for that. I have include the following info.

The Media server has a dedup storage pool in a EVA4400. We wanted to move the dedup data to a HP MSA temporarily. I understand that one media server can only have one dedup storage pool. We would like to re-use the same media server where possible. We are also willing to give up the current dedup data in the EVA4400. However, the dedup data in the EVA4400 must be intact and recognizable for one month before being destroyed.

So now the challange is how can we direct all the new backup data to the HP MSA dedup storage pool and at the same time retaining the dedup data in the EVA4400 using the same media server?

We have thought of moving the dedup data from EVA4400 to HP MSA if HP MSA do have the capacity to hold all the new and future data but the chances is slim as we understand that the HP MSA usable capacity is limited.

If I really cannot use the same media server, what other options do I have?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

My suggestion would be to install a new media server and then perfrom a optimized duplication from one media server to the new one. Then expire the backups on the orginal dedupe pool, you can now do the disk.

A optized duplication will only move the unique block and not rehydrate the entire image

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Even with optimized duplication you would still need an equal amount of storage in the new/temp san as used in the current san.

If you have that, then you can just mirror the storage/volume using the Operating System. You didn't mention your O/S so the steps would vary.

mousehunt
Level 3

Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestion.

So the best way is still setup a new media server and create a new dedup storage pool. Then we replicate the storage in the EVA4400 to the new dedup storage pool in the new media server.

FYI, all systems are running Windows.

Thanks everyone. However, if anyone still have any other suggestions, please feel free to add.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you've got the same amount of storage on old and new......

Add the new lun to the current media server

If the current disk housing the msdp pool is not dynamic, convert it to dynamic.

Convert the new lun to dynamic

Create a mirror

Wait for it to synchronize

Remove the old lun from the mirror

Unassign the lun from the server

You might be able to do all of this online without a reboot. Worst case you'll need a reboot for basic > dynamic disk conversion, or lun assignment.

Check with MS on details on how to create/remove the mirror