cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7 restore on different library

Calzor_Suzay
Level 4

We have NBU7.1.0.2 a recent upgrade from 6.5.4 a few weeks ago.

I need to restore using tapes that where originally backed up on a library A connected to master and now need to restore to library B connected to a media server, the backup was performed using NDMP.

We used to run the bpmedia -movedb command as per this tech doc http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH21249 but I just get the error "requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database", I checked in the java console and the "Media owner" column states the NAS name so i've tried this in various formats as the shortname, fqdn, matching exactly what it says etc with no luck.

I then ran the command nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <tape name> and the field "Media server" no longer exists as per previous tech docs I've seen, then from the java gui you can right click and choose "change media owner" which I did but it does it very quickly unlike the command which used to take a while, also when you look at the "media owner" column it lists the change.

I started the restore but it still requests the tape in the master library A not library B where I'm physically located.

How do I fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK - it looks like the tapes are not owned by any server but by a Group - NO_SHARING_GROUP?

Have you added the other NDMP filer that can see the library and the tape into this group?

You may then need to set an alternate restore failover host in the Master Servers host proerties as well  - source ndmp and restore ndmp names - but check the Group first

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

did you do a proper eject of the tape and inject of the tape.

If you look under media and find that tape what library does it show up in.  If it still shows A  then you need to do an inventory with update on both to get the tape located in the correct one.

In addition when you start the restore in the activity what media server is it showing trying to run the job, is it the one you expect?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Cany you post exact strings of commands you tried, and output of commands you checked in troubleshooting?

Calzor_Suzay
Level 4

The tape has been ejected from one library and inserted correctly in the other.

bpmedia -movedb -ev CR0774 -oldserver <Master short name> -newserver <Media short name>
bpmedia -movedb -ev CR0774 -oldserver <NAS short name> -newserver <Media short name>
bpmedia -movedb -ev CR0774 -oldserver <NAS long name> -newserver <Media short name>
bpmedia -movedb -ev CR0774 -newserver <Media short name>
bpmedia -movedb -ev CR0774 -oldserver <NAS long name> -newserver <Media long name>
bpmedia -movedb -m CR0774 -newserver <Media short name>
bpmedia -movedb -m CR0774 -oldserver <NAS short name> -newserver <Media short name>
bpmedia -movedb -m CR0774 -oldserver <NAS long name> -newserver <Media short name>

All with the result
requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid cro774
NBEMMCMD, Version:7.1
====================================================================
Media GUID:                     ffea2012-c9b4-11e0-8000-e56edc0ab115
Media ID:                       CRO774
Partner:                        -
Media Type:                     HCART
Volume Group:                   ---
Application:                    Netbackup
Media Flags:                    1
Description:                    ----
Barcode:                        CRO774L3
Partner Barcode:                --------
Last Write Host:                <nas fqdn>
Created:                        08/18/2011 15:13
Time Assigned:                  09/16/2011 20:15
First Mount:                    09/16/2011 21:35
Last Mount:                     09/16/2011 21:35
Volume Expiration:              -
Data Expiration:                03/20/2012 19:15
Last Written:                   09/16/2011 20:15
Last Read:                      -
Robot Type:                     NONE
Robot Control Host:             -
Robot Number:                   -
Slot:                           -
Side/Face:                      -
Cleanings Remaining:            -
Number of Mounts:               1
Maximum Mounts Allowed:         0
Media Status:                   FULL
Kilobytes:                      676004175
Valid Images:                   1
Retention Period:               6
Number of Restores:             0
Optical Header Size Bytes:      1024
Optical Sector Size Bytes:      0
Optical Partition Size Bytes:   0
Last Header Offset:             0
Adamm Guid:                     00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Rsm Guid:                       00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Origin Host:                    NONE
Master Host:                    <Master name>
Server Group:                   NO_SHARING_GROUP
Upgrade Conflicts Flag:
Pool Number:                    4
Volume Pool:                    Backup
Previous Pool Name:             Scratch
Vault Flags:                    -
Vault Container:                -
Vault Name:                     -
Vault Slot:                     -
Session ID:                     -
Date Vaulted:                   -
Return Date:                    -
====================================================================
Command completed successfully.

bpmedia -movedb -ev CR0774 -oldserver back1 -newserver back2
bpmedia -movedb -m CR0774 -newserver back2
bpmedia -movedb -m CR0774 -oldserver back1 -newserver back2
bpmedia -movedb -m CR0774 -oldserver faslonnas09 -newserver back2
bpmedia -movedb -m CR0774 -oldserver faslonnas09.lon.uk.world.socgen -newserver back2
requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database

Calzor_Suzay
Level 4

When you perform the restore it all acts as expected it just requests the tape is loaded into the library.

We've always had this and perform the bpmedia -movedb command on tapes before numerous times without issues.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Hi

Can i confirm that the backup was done using remote NDMP and that the tape drives are not directly connected to the NDMP appliance?

If that is the case then when configured you have to select a media server to act as the NDMP media server - this is on the ndmp storage unit properties.

This will show the ndmp host and the media server associated with it.

The tapes are owned by the ndmp appliance so you should just need to change the media server in the storage unit properties

Hope this helps

Calzor_Suzay
Level 4

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean, the backups of the NAS over NDMP go straight through a brocade to the tape drives so in essence they are directly attached and all the media/master server does is initiate the backup, we don't use 3 way NDMP backup either.

Under storage units as far as I can see the LTO NAS drives are set as the media server to be either the master or media server name and the storage unit type as NDMP.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If the NDMP appliance backs up straight to tape can it also see the second tape library and has that been configured for use by the filer?

Or are you saying you want to restore it using remote NDMP using a Media Server?

Calzor_Suzay
Level 4

No it cannot see the other library, it's physically located in a different building but like I say we used to run the command and move ownership of it to the master/media server. So yes I believe we are trying to perform a remote NDMP restore using a media server. I am trying to restore it back to an NDMP nas though which we have in the past restored to and this is directly connected to a tape library/drive, both sites are pretty much a mirror of each other in configuration.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - it looks like the tapes are not owned by any server but by a Group - NO_SHARING_GROUP?

Have you added the other NDMP filer that can see the library and the tape into this group?

You may then need to set an alternate restore failover host in the Master Servers host proerties as well  - source ndmp and restore ndmp names - but check the Group first

Calzor_Suzay
Level 4

By chance I mistyped the tape name in lower case and now it works!

I've checked all the database entries and the tape names are all set by the barcode reader on entry into the library and all uppercase, we've always used the tape name as uppercase and not sure why it's all changed now, fixed for now but need to investiagte what's changed.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems the media id is CRO774 (C-R-<char-O>)

You have typed C-R-<zero> in the bpmedia commands.

Get into a habit to 'copy & paste' rather than re-typing.

Calzor_Suzay
Level 4

Yeah from above when I cleaned up the info to paste here I found and replaced the tape number wrong but the fact remains it doesn't seem to work with the uppercase tape name which it references in the database anymore but does work with the lowercase entry.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It worked because the lowercase case media-id was typed correctly as cro and not cr0.

Calzor_Suzay
Level 4

NO, like I say I've retried and someone else had the same issue, if we don't use the 'cro' part as all lower case it fails to move the tape.