cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7601 upgrade with NBAC

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have a site where NBAC is confirgured and running on 7505.  I am upgrading to 7601 on the Master Server initially (after completing the Ops Center Server OK) and following the first phase of the upgrade when I go to launch the Admin Console to check on the Phase 2 conversion I cannot access the Admin console - getting the message "unable to retrieve the version of the server <master serever name>".

I saw the technote relating to requirements for upgrading to 7.6 when NBAC is in use, and it simply states that you should keep the AT & AZ services up when commencing the upgrade and all will take care of itself.

I did a bpdown and all services were stopped.  I then restarted the AT & AZ services (which also started the Relational DB Manager service) and started the upgrade.  One of the first steps of the upgrade however runs a bpdown which stopped all 3 services again.  I did see the steps during the install stating that NBAC was being upgraded (which took a few minutes) - but after all completed OK I am in the situation whereby I cannot launch the Admin Console.

Any advice ?

AJ

4 REPLIES 4

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

So HOWTO70267 says that, and yes, your correct, it install runs bpdown and kills it off. Please follow the steps outlined and ignore that note.

1. Disable NBAC with USE_VXSS = PROHIBITED (HOWTO86422)
  2. On the master server, stop NetBackup.
  3. Upgrade NetBackup.
  4. Check upgrade and then re-enable NBAC
  • On the media servers and client computers, first stop NetBackup and then upgrade NetBackup. Note that the shared authentication and authorization packages are no longer used on media servers and client computers. These products can be removed if no other Symantec product is using them.

If for some reason NBAC is not working after the upgrade, please follow HOWTO46896, Configuring NetBackup Access Control (NBAC) on standalone master servers, and see if that fixes it. If any issues please open a support case as more will need to be done.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the input.

I had already gone and set the USE_VXSS to PROHIBITED, restarted the services, upgraded to 7602 and all was fine.  When I set this back to AUTOMATIC this morning and restarted services I have problems.  I see that the Database Manager, Request Daemon, Job Manager and Policy Execution Manager are not starting.  Also, I notice that the Authorization service is now set to disabled.

Before I go ahead and setup NBAC again from scratch is there anything else I can do ?

Should the Authorization service be disabled following the 7602 upgrade ?

Thanks,

AJ

SYMBG
Level 2

What was the resolution to this issue? I am experiencing the same exact issue with an upgrade from 7.1.0.4 to 7.6.0.1. 

NBAC was working as expected in 7.1.0.4, but after the upgrade to 7.6.0.1 I get the error "unable to retrieve the version of the server <master serever name>" when opening the administration console. Setting USE_VXSS to PROHIBITED allows the console to open.

I have had a case open with Symantec for a week now, but so far no luck with finding a resolution, so far their suggestion has been to install 7.6.0.3 and 7.6.0.4. Obviously that solution would have been too easy, so ofcourse it didn't resolve the issue.

SYMBG
Level 2

What was the resolution to this issue? I am experiencing the same exact issue with an upgrade from 7.1.0.4 to 7.6.0.1. 

NBAC was working as expected in 7.1.0.4, but after the upgrade to 7.6.0.1 I get the error "unable to retrieve the version of the server <master serever name>" when opening the administration console. Setting USE_VXSS to PROHIBITED allows the console to open.

I have had a case open with Symantec for a week now, but so far no luck with finding a resolution, so far their suggestion has been to install 7.6.0.3 and 7.6.0.4. Obviously that solution would have been too easy, so ofcourse it didn't resolve the issue.