cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Multiple Media Servers & Fibre Channel Tape Library

franciscogzz
Not applicable

Hello,

I am still at the planning stage for NetBackup, these are two options we have come up with.

Scenario 1:

- 4 x Servers with Media Server and Client installed sharing tape library connected through fibre channel, they should backup themselves into the tape library.

- 1 x Server as the Master Server

Scenario 2:

- 4 x Servers with the Client installed

- 1 x Server as the Master & Media Server connected exclusively to the tape library. This server should get backups from the other 4 servers’ clients and place them into the tape library.

I realize that in scenario 1 backup are done ‘locally’ and there is very little network traffic, but the server will experience more load than scenario 2 since the media servers are local instead of remote.

Has anyone had similar experience with this kind of setup? I would really appreciate some feedback.

Thank You

1 REPLY 1

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
If you want to make a server do its own backups (and cannot backup anybody else)- where the tape drives are zoned to them - they become SAN media servers - meaning you need 4 licenses to do that.

But backing up via SAN using FT is a little different setup - I have not done this part.

If you only have 1 master and only 4 clients - depending on how much you need to backup and how beefy your master is then letting the master do the work would cost less.

I have more then 4 clients, but I have 2 that are set up as SAN media servers (not using FT)  there is still traffic between them and the master as the master has the catalog.  They have such large backups that having them do their own, as allowed me to only need one other media server in addition to  my master which  is also a media server.

(just my 2 cents - which is not enough to buy the SAN media server license)