cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU is only using one drive

r1
Level 5
I have 2 LTO 4 Tape drives and i run SLP policies . when my exchange Backups to disk completes , SLP policy runs where it is 2 days on disk and 3 weeks on tape , the duplication to Tape only uses one tape drive . The other tape drive is free but the jobs stays in queue untill the first duplication completes .

I looked at the SLP storage unit didn't see anything , the Tape Storage unit has a concurrent drives set to 2 . So if i have 2 duplication jobs one of them uses first drive and the second waits , when it is done , the second tape drive gets used and it keeps rotating .

any help is greatly appreciate it .

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What is the reason for job being queued? Please post contents of Details tab.

Will_Restore
Level 6
that is by design so duplication doesn't tie up drives that might be needed for backup and restore

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

We regularly see multiple duplication jobs going at the same time. There is no "design" to keep drives free.

Make sure you have the storage units configured correctly to allow them to use multiple drives.  The default may be 1 (I can't remember off the top of my head) but you can certainly set this higher.  Pick a number that best matches your workload and what your media servers are capable of doing.

r1
Level 5
hey guys- Update here , issues is fixed by restarting NBU services .

Will_Restore
Level 6
...and I am left behind blush

this is the way it used to be:
.  In past versions of NetBackup, when duplicating images from the DSSU to the Final Destination Storage Unit (FSU), only a single bpduplicate process was executed.  This meant that only one write drive would ever be used to create the new copy of every relocated image.

per document:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/280067.htm

Looks like I have some catching up to do!