cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP restores to alnernate NDMP host

Amaan
Level 6

Hi,

We have around 8 filers and 3 media server. First 6 filers and all media servers share 12 tape drives. I tried to restore images which was done with "filer6" (this host shares drives) to "filer7" (this does not have visibility for tape drives). I entered restore overrite host on host properties. Trying restore and when restore starts it is loading tape to drive from "filer1"

If "filer6" is image owner and "filer7" is the host where restore will be written, why is netbackup using "filer1" for this restore?

Filer vendor - NetApp

NetBackup is 7.5.0.5 - Windows 2008R2

Please help to understand why it is using other filers (host) even if we have free tape drives from same filer 6. why it is using drive path from other filers for this restore?

Thanks for help

12 REPLIES 12

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

I entered restore overrite host on host properties

what are the entires that you put  in  restore overrite host?

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You need to change the media ownership of the specific medias.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedia -movedb -m <mediaid> -oldserver ndmphost1 -newserver ndmphost2 -nodb_update 

Amaan
Level 6

I entered restore overrite host on host properties

what are the entires that you put in restore overrite host?.

I meant this:

Host properties> Master server> Media Host override.

Amaan
Level 6

You need to change the media ownership of the specific medias.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedia -movedb -m <mediaid> -oldserver ndmphost1 -newserver ndmphost2 -nodb_update

I don`t need to change media owner. Owner still active and it has drive attached. it can see drives and can load tape and start reading it.

Restore is working, but not understanding why it is using totally different filer to load tape and read.

Thiago_Pereira
Level 4

What is the configuration you put in BAR - Specify Netbackup Machines and policy....

How Media Server is the NDMP host?

Amaan
Level 6

What is the configuration you put in BAR - Specify Netbackup Machines and policy....

In BAR i put source client for restore: "Filer6" and Destination client for restore: "Filer7"

H

ow Media Server is the NDMP host? We are not using any media server for this restore. i just mentioned that they share drives as well. it was informational. They are not part of restore.

Restore Source: filer6

Restore Destination: filer7

Tape drive loaded to: filer1

Question is Why it is loaded to filer1. it can load it to filer6 as it is media owner

Thiago_Pereira
Level 4

How you want restore files without a Media Server?

Its not possible. You have to check who is your NDMP host, maybe is the filer1 , the source client does not mean that this is your host used for restore this files, only the server on which you will restore the data from and search for files.

So the media use for restore is set in the same window, in Specify Netbackup Machine..., is the first select.

Amaan
Level 6

If tape library attached directly (actuallt san zoning) why do you need media server. it is direct NDMP not remote NDMP. i can turn off my media servers and do backups and restores. Please forget about media servers for now

NetBackup tries always as per my knowledge to use drives attached to media owner. In my case media owner is filer6. it is not media server. So it has to use filer 6 tape drive. because this guy (filer6) is the owner. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You REALLY need to change media ownership:

See this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH68059

Need to re-direct NDMP restore through an alternate media server

Extract:

When attempting to use "Media Host Override" functionality in NetBackup to force the restore of an NDMP backup taken through a drive directly connected to an NDMP filer to run through a different Media Server than the backup was originally taken from, the system will ignore this setting and attempt to run the restore through the original Media Server. 
This is the currently designed behavior of the product.
Workaround:
.... run:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedia -movedb -m <MEDIA> -oldserver <last write host> -newserver <desired media server for restore>
This will change the media assignment to the new Media Server and allow the restore to run as expected. If the restore is going to an NDMP filer that has directly tape drive(s), the restore should run through that drive normally. 

Amaan
Level 6

Marianne, but it is actually not using media owner who did the backup. this is my problem. Owner of tape who did backup is filer 6. But while running restore it is chosing filer1 to load tape. Filer 6 is up and working which has more number of tape drives than filer1.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Are you using open storage ? This TN is for 6.5 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87200 but I had seen this same behaviour in 7.1, not sure about 7.5.

smurphy
Level 4
Employee Certified

If he's using tape drives, the OST info would not pertain directly.  However, the principle is similar.
With a restore, it starts at the media server.  With this many drives shared among that many hosts, you are highly likely to end up with a 3-way restore (filer 1 restoring to filer 7).

What it will try to do is go by last host to read the media.  You can determine this by running nbemmcmd -listmedia.

But the only way to make this not happen is to either use restore host override or move the media as mentioned earlier.