cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOM 6.5.6 and NBU Server 7.0

MariusD
Level 6

Hello,

I need to monitor our Master. We did this before with NOM 6.5.6. Now we upgrade the master to 7 and also the NOM 6.5.6 to OpsCenter 7.0., but i'm not satisfied. We returned to NOM 6.5.6 but i can't add the master server 7.0. 

"

Some problem has occurred during the processing of your request. Please try the following:

re-login into the system and try again.
    re-try after sometime.
"

What can I do?
I tried everything possible but not work.
Work NBU server 7.0 also with NOM 6.5.6 is the question?????

Thanks and best regards,
Marius D.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MariusD
Level 6

the official answer from Symantec Support: NOM 6.5 (6) can not monitor the NetBackup 7 Master.

And the report what I want is "Reports -> Create New Report -> Create a report using an existing report template -> Backups -> Job Browser -> Tabular Backup Report"

Have a nice week,

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
& I may well (probably will) be totally wrong (we don't utilise NOM & are currently ony running at 6.5.4 so no experience in any of the above ;) ), but looking at the odd TechNote & Admin Guide I would suggest that the answer to this is no (?)

DOCUMENTATION: Which versions of NetBackup Operations Manager (NOM) can manage which versions of NetBackup master servers?
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295597.htm

Seems to indicate that  NOM can only monitor at its own patch release or below (except for 2 instances: prior to 6.0MP6 and 6.5.4/6.5.5 - so there may be hope?)

DOCUMENTATION: NetBackup multi-version co-existence: what combinations of 7.0, 6.5.X, 6.5, 6.0, 5.1, 5.0 client, media, and master servers are compatible?
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/264767.htm
"...
The NetBackup Operations Manager (NOM) version may be the same or higher than the version of the NetBackup server that is being managed, providing everything is at least NBU 6.0MP5.
..."
Which confirms the above also i.e. only at its own release or below.

From the OpsCentre Admin Guide:
"...
When you upgrade from NOM or VBR to OpsCenter server, the OpsCenter installer only stops the existing NOM or VBR services. It does not uninstall your existing NOM or VBR installation. If you have not uninstalled NOM or VBR, you can use your older installation.
..."
& then goes on to explain the process which is what you've probably already done.

It does go on to say:
"...
In case domains are not visible on the logon page and you cannot log on to NOM, you must reinstall Symantec Product Authentication Service that was shipped with your NOM version. See the NOM documentation for more information.
..."
but this does not indicate (nor deny) its ability to monitor a NB7 environment!!

Sorry I can't provide a more definitive answer, but I'm sure someone out there can wink

RGuinn
Level 4
Andy, you are correct.  All of NOM, VBR and OpsCenter can only monitor systems at their version and below.

We upgraded our existing NOM server from 6.5 to OpsCenter 7.0 and subsiquently all of our custom media reports for our remote sites stopped working, so we rolled back to NOM 6.5.  We have installed a seperate OpsCenter 7.0 server that is monitoring our 7.0 Master Servers and 7.0 Media Servers.  We have implemented a 6.5.6 agent server to gather data from our 6.5.X media servers, but currently have it off until we fix our custom reporting issue.

As an FYI there is a cumulative patch out for OpsCenter 7.0.  I received a download link from a Symantec Support Engineer to be able to apply it to our system, I'm sure you can contact support and they can get you a link to it.

-Randy

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

As a matter of interest, what does the cumulative patch cover? Could be that this may sort Marius' original dissatisfaction?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Do you have a link or doc number for the patch?

the only one I know about is ET1988980 After a user logs off an OpsCenter server, some of the OpsCenter services stop
Doc 347157

MattS
Level 6

Do we need to contact support to get the patch or do you have a link?  OpsCenter last about a week before needing to be restart it.  Havent had time to troubleshoot it.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

they'll provide you with ftp location etc probably - if the patch actually sorts your issue that is!

MattS
Level 6
Thanks Andy.  It's such a low priority I'd throw on any patch support was willing to give to me.

And for the record, i admit that i blatently stole your avatar idea. cheeky

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Tartan? Leather? laugh

As far as the avatar's concerned - that's alright 'cos I "stole" the idea from Nathan Kippen
There's also another "smiley" out there too that I like but I'll be ****** if I can remember who's that one is!

MariusD
Level 6
I expect an official reply von Symantec support.

ok, I understand that if the Master is 7.0 the MON(now UpsCenter)  must be also 7.0 or higher.
But I have to send the same reports as before (with NOM 6.5.6). I need a report with all exit-backup-job status for a client in a week (or day, or month).
With Ops only get a graphic, but I need a  detailed report.

I don't have time to learn another Monitoring soft.
I need to work with NOM 6.5 (6) reports also in NBU 7.0 master (or at least something similar).

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

e.g. bperror -backstat -U will print out status, client, policy, schedule & completion time for jobs completed in last 24 hours.

USAGE: bperror {-S|-statuscode status_code}
           [-r|-recommendation] [-v]
       bperror  [-all|-problems|-media|-tape]
           [-disk|-BasicDisk|-NearStore|-SnapVault|
            -DiskPool]
           [{-backstat [-by_statcode]}-L|-l|-U] [-columns ncols]
           [-d mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS|-hoursago hours] [-e mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS]
           [-client client_name] [-server server_name]
           [-jobid job_id] [-jobgroupid job_group_id]
           [-M master_server,...] [-v]
       bperror  [-s {severity[+]}|severity ...] [-t type ...]
           [-dt disk type ...]
           [-L|-l|-U] [-columns ncols]
           [-d mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS|-hoursago hours] [-e mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS]
           [-client client_name] [-server server_name]
           [-jobid job_id] [-jobgroupid job_group_id]
           [-M master_server,...] [-v]

-by_statcode is used only with both -U and -backstat

Valid values for ncols:
           40 or more

Valid values for severity:
           ALL, DEBUG, INFO, WARNING, ERROR, CRITICAL

Valid values for type:
           ALL, ARCHIVE, BACKSTAT, BACKUP, GENERAL,
           MEDIADEV, DISK, BASICDISK, NEARSTORE, DISKPOOL,
           SNAPVAULT, TAPE, RETRIEVE, SECURITY

Valid values for disk type:
           0 = ALL, 1 = BASICDISK, 2 = NEARSTORE, 3 = SNAPVAULT,
           6 = DISKPOOL

MariusD
Level 6

...aber I must submit weekly report to my customers. The NOM one was so nice:) and easy. 

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

as well as nn hours ago. ((Altho' it's still probably not what you want.))

MariusD
Level 6

the official answer from Symantec Support: NOM 6.5 (6) can not monitor the NetBackup 7 Master.

And the report what I want is "Reports -> Create New Report -> Create a report using an existing report template -> Backups -> Job Browser -> Tabular Backup Report"

Have a nice week,

MariusD
Level 6

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
monitor the NetBackup 7 Master."

Confirms what we said then - thanks Marius - & glad to see you found the right report!