cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net backup 7.0 advantages over IBM TSM 6.2?

Randeep_Singh
Not applicable
Hi,

I need to get some of the advantages of net backup 7.0 over ibm tsm 6.2.
Can anybody help me in finding out with some points as per experience or documentation on this if any?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Randeep Singh
8 REPLIES 8

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

whell, I've stopped working with TSM when it was at 5.3
I remember that the GUI was terrible and the IBM tech had a custom solution to add the 5.2 GUI to 5.3. I do not know how better the TSM GUI is now.

One big advantage of netbackup 7 over  TSM is the integration with VMware.If you have VMs, then with netbackup you can back up the vmware disks (vmdk’s) and restore individual files from that backup.
with TSM you have to do a separate backup if you need the restore of files. Netbackup also supports incremental backups within the vmdk backups.
The same with exchange backups. Netbackup can restore a single mail form an information store backup. With TSM you must restore the store at the recovery storage group and use the tool form Microsoft to get the mail. Well this is not exactly better, because to use this option, the store backup must be in a disk storage unit.

As I said I do not have good knowledge of TSM, so I cannot give more NBU advantages or disadvantages. But both programs are doing backups.

Stefanos

Craigy
Not applicable

As of TSM 6.2, it does support VMware vStorage API backups (back up a full image and restore only a single or limited number of files).
TSM can also restore an individual mail (or note, or meeting) from Exchange.

Probably a good idea would be to read something about TSM 6.2 before posting.

Craig

Vapulaflo
Level 4

Few years ago (almost 10) I've work on TSM but i think it was the 4.xx version.
For now, I can say that TSM is really more complex, and can be really efficient. And Netbackup is more "user-friendly", adapative, and easy to get competencies on it...

If you're not an SQL guru, forget TSM!

Turls
Level 6

Please refer to the blog An Open Letter to IBM TSM Customers from Symantec NetBackup for more information. Thanks!

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited

IBM TSM - Tivoli Storage Manager

The name itself says that this is a storage management software which is turned out to be a backup software. As formerly it was used for storages, it works on versions of files.

If if you say, I want to retain my backup for 5 years, that is not possible with TSM. It works on version of files. So you have to mention how many version you have to keep for the backup.

Also, doing this gives drills in your backup. 

For eg - if you backup 10 files with 5 version for backup. and if only 3 files are getting changed frequently.

You can imagine the situation for many files...

Hope this helps...

mdespont
Not applicable

Netbackup has also big disadvantages:

-Veritas NetBackup does not have the ability to do tape reclamation. With Veritas NetBackup you must wait until the last file on a tape expires before you can reuse the tape. There is also no way to consolidate off-site volumes.

http://aka-community.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-erase-datas-tape

- Veritas NetBackup has rigid policies that are part of the backup schedule, and are OS specific. This means you have to have multiple policies for each type of OS being backed up. Veritas NetBackup also recommends having individual policies for each large file system. Any change to a policy requires a new full backup of the data to implement a new policy.
Hard to manage ...

I never watch the performance tests, as everyone prepares its tests (based on its strengths) to be as efficient as possible.

But you can have more informations here : ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/bigplays/ar-tsm-comparing-sum.pdf

BackupBob
Not applicable

I know this is an old post, but you are confused on the TSM product. It separates data into backups and archives. Archives can be set to keep the data for extended periods of time and have no versions. The explanation of backups is very week. Versions are part of the policy that allows backup admins to provide mutliple version support according the SLAs developed for the solution.