cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 5.1 to 6.0 Cluster Upgrade

Jim_Casselman
Level 2
Partner Certified
I've just upgraded NBU 5.1 to 6.0 in a cluster configuration, though I'm unsure of the post installation process to bring it online. How do I use the nbupushdata utility to complete my installation ?
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jim,
which cluster technology are you using? OS Version? Cluster software?

Have a good look through NetBackup High Availability Systems Administrator Guide PDF which covers configurations on various cluster technologies.

Also have a scan through the release notes book you got with the media or your download.

AndreasChristen
Level 3
Certified
Hi Jim,

whenever you upgrade a 5.x Mediaserver to 6 then you need to do the nbpushdata -add on the master to finish the upgrade. That's when then the EMM Database gets updated with the Mediaserver information.

It's well documented in my opinion in the upgrade/installation manual.

-Andreas

Jim_Casselman
Level 2
Partner Certified
Thanks. I reviewed the upgrade/installation manual prior to my upgrade, though it didn't completely address the issues for a cluster upgrade that I experienced.

I just found a new document... "Release Notes - Additional Operational Notes" that may help me. http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/278130.pdf

Veritas / Symantec left out any automatic process in their installation code to perform a full NBU upgrade in a cluster configuration on a Windows VSFW and NBU 5 > 6 environment.

It appears that after installing the NBU software, the virtual server has to be added using the syntax:
nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename virtual_name -machinetype
app_cluster
where virtual_name is the virtual name of the application.

Then the command here has to be executed.
nbemmcmd -updatehost -add_server_to_app_cluster -machinename
node_name -machinetype media -clustername virtual_name
-netbackupversion 6.0 -masterserver master_name

Repeat the above step for each node on which the application can run.

I'll test this next week and see if it resolves the problem.