cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 6.5 Restore Issues - Unable to restore from LTO-3 tape via LTO-5 tape library

Rockey_Wen
Level 4
Did anyone ever tried to restore from LTO3 tapes by using LTO-5 tape library?

We recently have a new HP MSL 4048 Tape Library with 2 LTO-5 tape drives which is designed to replace current LTO3 tape library.  There is no problem when reading and writing onto LTO5 tapes.  However, when we tried to restore from the LTO3 tape in the MSL 4048, the netbackup can not  load the LTO3 media.  It tried to find the media forever, and ended up timed out.

The current netbackup is version 6.5.5, on Windows 2003 x64 server.
The LTO5 drive is Read compatible with LTO3 tapes.  All the drivers and firmware have been up to date.

Does anyone have ideas how to restore data on the media which is two generations behind in NetBackup?

Many thanks,
Rockey
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

HCART    LTO
HCART2  LTO2
HCART3  LT03
HCART    LTO4
HCART2  LTO5
HCART3  LTO6

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
So similarly I would imagine that it would just be a case of ensuring that the drive type matches the media type (eg HCART or HCART3). You may have to change the drive type for one of your LTO5 drives (nice & shiny!) to match the media type of your LTO3 media inorder to do the restore & then change it back after.

Rockey_Wen
Level 4
We did tried that before, but unfortunately, the whole tape library and tape drives disapperd from Windows device manager once I changed the LTO5 drive types.  I won't be able to see it unless I poweroff all the NBU servers and Tape Library and cold boot again.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
How/where did you change the drive type?
You only need to change it in the Windows Devices GUI. Select drive, right-click, change....

Devices disappearing from Windows Device Manager is a Connectivity/Driver issue.

What errors are you seeing in Event Viewer System/Application log?

Will_Restore
Level 6
I'm curious what is the default Drive Type for LTO5 in Netbackup ?  HCART2 ??

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

IN NetBackup,  change the drive type of One of the drives to match the type you have your LTO3 tapes set as.

IF
LTO3 tape type in NetBackup set to Hcart3
LTO5 taype taype in NetBackup seto to Hcart2

then just change one tape drive INSIDE of the NetBackup GUI only - to Hcart3 and it should be able to mount the tape on that drive and read it.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

HCART    LTO
HCART2  LTO2
HCART3  LT03
HCART    LTO4
HCART2  LTO5
HCART3  LTO6