cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.5 logfile move

AshGrove_JT
Level 4

All,

I recently upgraded to NetBackup 7.5 and during the migration noticed that my c:\ drive was getting low on space.  I followed this guide http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH45907 to move the log files to a different drive.  Although now I'm not sure my logs are actually writing to the new location.  I know they are not writing to the old location because nothing is there.  I'm specifically trying to troubleshoot a Storage Unit duplication problem and I need to review the "Admin" log, but nothing has been written to it since the day I moved it.  I've stopped and started the Netbackup service and rebooted the server, but still nothing.  Anyone have any ideas...

I've also verified that the new logfile location is correct...

Thanks..Jeff

6 REPLIES 6

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Try deleting any old log folders and see how it goes.

AshGrove_JT
Level 4

So far I've narrowed it down to only legacy logs...I think the unified logs are going to the correct place...

I've tried deleting the log folders, then running the batch file to recreate, but still nothing is getting written to the directories....I've also verified that the legacy log reg setting is correctly pointing to the new location.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Have you created the log directory in netbackup\logs\admin\ to see if that is still being used?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is also this O-L-D TechNote that says the 'Log Directory' registry entry is for 'client-type' logs, like bpcd, bpbkar, etc : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH15567

1. Add the following value within the registry to make sure all the (master and media process) log directories, as made by the batch file, are correctly written to (Figure 3):

Within the VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Paths key, add a string value called "BP_LOGS".  The value does not exist by default, so it will have to be created.  Its value will be a string directory path.  The following format must be deployed when entering this type of string value:       

Maybe our Symantec friends (revaroo, Martin, Chris) can tell us if this TN is still vailid?

watsons
Level 6

Some more to check:

- Windows or Unix? For Unix it's a symlink to the new dir.
- Log dir permission (whether you permit write)
- Is your server (btw, media or master server?) clustered?
- Run this to check if any setting goes the other way round:

(for Unix) bpgetconfig | grep -i log | more

DISABLE_JOB_LOGGING = NO
KEEP_LOGS_DAYS = 3

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Original post indicates this is Windows (mentions "C:\") so that's the assumption I'm working with here.  Please let me know if I'm wrong!

TECH45907 is the way to go, as it was written for 7.x whereas TECH15567 looks like it was written for 4.5 with 5.x and 6.0 tacked on later as an afterthought :)

I'm sure you've done this already, but if you can do it again:

1. STOP NETBACKUP FIRST!  This isn't made as clear in the TN as I'd like but this is important.

2. Check the value of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Log Directory registry key and make sure it's pointing to a folder that already exists.  Make sure there aren't any rogue spaces at the end of the string, for example - best way to make sure this works is to copy the entire path and then open a new Window, pasting in that path to make sure you navigate into a folder that exists.  Assuming that goes ok, make sure the folders you want to see logs for have been created (or run the batch script to create them, again) - sounds like we want to see "admin" in there for sure

3. Restart NetBackup and (optionally) say a quick and silent prayer to Mr. V-Ray

Good luck!