cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Client Service fails to start on Windows client

WayneLackey
Level 5

I have a Windows 2003 SP2 Enterprise Edition server for which I cannot start the NetBackup Client Service (version 7.0). When I try and start it manually in the Windows Services console, the progress bar gets about halfway, and then spits out a 1053 error, telling me Windows could not start the service in a timely fashion (or something similar). A reboot did not resolve this issue, nor did removing and reinstalling the client. Does NBU create a log when the client service tries to start? If so, which log, and where can I locate it? Alternatively, does anyone have any recommendations for getting the NBU client service to start?

Thanks,

Wayne

20 REPLIES 20

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If the installation is actually OK then check that the Symantec Private Branch Exchange Service is set to Auto and running as well as the NetBackup Legacy Client Service and NetBackup Legancy Network Service.

Those are the things it depends on - alternatively check that if it is set to use a specific account that the account and password are valid (or set it back to system login to test)

Any errors should be logged to the Windows Application event viewer which may give more details

WayneLackey
Level 5

The Symantec Private Branch Exchange service is set to auto and is running. Neither of the Legacy services you mentioned are in the Services list.

The NetBackup Client Service is set to use the Local System account.

The only mention of the NetBackup Client Service that I saw in the Windows Application Log in the Event Viewer was when the service was stopped (when I uninstalled and reinstalled the client).

Is there some way I can verify the installation is "okay," either through a command or manually checking an install log or something?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I would try a repair on the installtion and / or apply a patch (so if your master is at 7.0.1 apply that patch to the client)

I cannot think of anything the client itself would log if it is not right

Kisad
Level 5

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Run mklogdir.bat placed under <intall_path>\Veritas\NetBackup\logs, which create log folder for each process under logs dir.
After reproducing the issue, check logs under these folders - bpcd, vnetd, bpinetd.

WayneLackey
Level 5

I went ahead and did another uninstall to make sure it was clean (since the last uninstall and reinstall seemed kind of glitchy and slow), and that completed successfully. When I try to reinstall the client now, I get the following error - Internal Error 2755. 1601, C:\nbuclient\x86\Symantec Netbackup Client.msi - and the install ends. The install log shows the following:

04-13-2012,12:25:05 : DEBUG: Error 2755: Server returned unexpected error 1601 attempting to install package C:\nbuclient\x86\Symantec NetBackup Client.msi.
04-13-2012,12:25:05 : ERROR: Internal Error 2755. 1601, C:\nbuclient\x86\Symantec NetBackup Client.msi
04-13-2012,12:26:41 : Action ended 12:26:41: INSTALL. Return value 3.

Any idea why the install is failing?

Kisad
Level 5

Please check the below technote. It refers to the error you are getting.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126050

WayneLackey
Level 5

@Kisad, thanks, but I had actually looked at that in my earlier search, and the fixes described didn't help me in this situation. There was no license.htm file in the %temp% directory, and the silentclient.cmd install ran and hung. I had to kill off the install and uninstall the client through the Control Panel. So I am back at the point where there is no client installed on this server, and the install fails - what I typically call square one. :D

Wayne

Kisad
Level 5

from the technote,point 3 & 4 effectiveky suggests a presence of blank license.htm file, Pls create a blank license.htm file and place it in the %TEMP% directory and give the installation another go. From my previous experience  with windows,sometimes all it need is the file it is loking for . It doesnt care if the file was manually recreated or was copy paste from another place ,so to speak. 

Option 1

If the Silent install method is not preferred, the following steps can be performed after the GUI installation has been started.
1.  Start the NetBackup install.
2.  Go to start menu, run %TEMP%
3.  Explorer will open the directory listing from the %TEMP% directory.  Right-click on the file LICENSE.htm and edit it with Notepad.
4.  Select all the contents of the file and erase it.
5.  Save file and continue with the installation.

WayneLackey
Level 5

@Kisad,

Thanks for the suggestion, I guess I should have thought of that as well, but I end up with the same result even after creating a blank license.htm file in %TEMP% and re-running the install.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Can i confirm that you are running the setup.exe and not the MSI?

The setup program does pre-requisite checks - such as IE version etc. that is actually needed

Also - are you doing it while logged physically on the server and not via terminal services / remote desktop?

Reccomendations:

Download the installer again.

Copy it locally

Delete everything under the temp directories

Check all pre-reqs (Windows Installer version / IE Version / Screen resolution / Windows Installer service not disabled / Anti Virus turned off etc.)

Make sure \program files\veritas\netbackup is not still there

Install it while logged on locally and as a local admin

Do not choose to use any specific account for the service account during the installation.

WayneLackey
Level 5

@Mark,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I am running the setup.exe, and not the .msi (I tried once, and it wouldn't let me). This server is located hundreds of miles from my location, so standing in front of it really isn't an option. laugh  I am connected to the server via RDP session.

I will connect back to the server and check the items you mentioned. I do know that it was a pretty vanilla install, no modifications, using Local System, etc.

Thanks,

Wayne

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Does it have a lights out card?

That would be better than using RDP (apart from screen resolution!)

WayneLackey
Level 5

Mark and others, thanks for your suggestions. I was able to get the client to install using the silent client install batch file, but after the install completes, the NetBackup client service still fails to start. When I try to start it, the progress bar gets about 60% of the way, stalls out for a few seconds, and then I get the 1053 error. Is there some way to increase the time Windows gives the service to start, maybe some command line parameter or something?

Thanks,

Wayne

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

if it could start it would - something is stopping it from running

double check Anti Virus firewalls  etc

also check HKLM\Software\veritas\netbackup\ to see if anything looks odd

check HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBackup *** to see if any binary paths look wrong

WayneLackey
Level 5

Is there some sort of list available from Symantec that would list the anti-virus products that may cause incompatibilities with NetBackup products? This client has an old AV product on it, and I am wondering if that may be causing the problem...

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

ALL antivirus products have the potential to cause trouble for NetBackup by quarantining or removing the wrong files at the wrong time.

We don't have an official list for you to consult but as Best Practices, we would recommend you either don't run antivirus on your NetBackup servers...or you take care to carve out exceptions for NetBackup on those servers.

Google found me some previous discussion on this topic:
 https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-7-and-anti-virus (see my solution in this thread for pointers to some TechNotes)
 https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-and-anti-virus-exclusions

Hope this helps!

WayneLackey
Level 5

@CRZ, thanks, but the problem I have is on a client, not on the NetBackup master server itself.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Have you got anywhere on this?

Was thinking that a good way to remove a client in order to try again is to right click on the .msi and select uninstall.

Then make sure the \Program files\veritas\ directory and HKLM\Software\Veritas\NetBackup (and all services) have gone from the registry and try again.

If you are using McAfee then make sure that the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\MFETDIK.sys file is renamed and server rebooted to make sure it is not the McAfee firewall stopping it from working