cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Enterprise Minimum Permissions/Best Practices

mjplakus
Level 2

I am about to setup a new NetBackup Enterprise environment.  I am trying to establish the minimum rights needed for both Windows and Linux/Unix clients plus any other best practices for installation.  I did this all in a prior job years ago on a Windows only environment where we stuck to Local System for almost everything but I need to know if anything has improved/changed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need a user account that has read access to ALL files and folders in order to backup. Write access is required for restore permissions.

The above is a basic Unix requirement.

To my knowledge 'root' is the only account with all required access levels.

NBU daemons are run as root user by default.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

This is a very broad question as there are a lot of variables involved here.

All documentation can be obtained here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&key=15143&channel=DOCUMENTATION&sort=rec...

Local system is fine for most things

Admin Consoles on Windows need you to be logged in with Local Admin rights

Exchange / Active Directory etc. would need the NetBackup Service account setting to a suitable one.

It all depends on the NetBackup Versions / O/S versions and what you will be backing up.

The SORT link at the top of the forum is also very useful as you can put in what you have and what you want to do and it will guide you to the information and pre-requisites needed

#Edit#

SORT link:

https://sort.symantec.com/home

Hope this helps

mjplakus
Level 2

I've been digging through the documents in the link above and have been unable to find any permissions related information so far.  My primary target of the question is Linux/Unix file systems.  I don't want to use "root" if I don't have to but I have no idea what rights are required to back up such a system.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need a user account that has read access to ALL files and folders in order to backup. Write access is required for restore permissions.

The above is a basic Unix requirement.

To my knowledge 'root' is the only account with all required access levels.

NBU daemons are run as root user by default.