cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tapes are not listed in bpmedialist

Rhari
Level 0

Hi All,

Need a help here…New Tapes are not listed in "bpmedialist" command but i can see them under Media in GUI and also in the available_media.cmd.

We had one old Netbackup 5.1 server connected to a Quantum M1500 Tape library which wasn’t used for almost 2 years.

Not for backing up few development servers I have planned to use it and for that – I have emptied all tapes from. I have used below mentioned command and then deleted the tape from the inventory .

bpexpdate -force -d 0 -m <media ID>

After that I have removed all tapes from it and inserted new once. And did a scan using inventory robot. All new tapes were listed..

I have created one volume pool – assigned new tapes to it.

For checking when I tried  “bpmedialist” command it was not listing my new tapes and I could see few old tapes still there.. is there anything I should to get the media database updated.

Also it will be great if there is a way I can all old Tape information and then update the new once to the database.

Thanks and Regards,

Rijil Hari.

4 REPLIES 4

Frederic_GERARD
Level 3

Hi

I think bpmedialist return none of your tapes because none of them has been used in a backup, so none is "assigned",  so it's not yet a "media", but a "volume".

Try vmquery -m "your media", or vmquery -a.

Hope it'll help :)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I believe bpmedialist only shows in use media - so it will not show brand new media

Try, from volmgr\bin\

vmquery -a -b

That should show everything

Hope this helps

#edit#

see Frederick also sent similar as i was typing - the -b on the end makes it nice and neat

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Perfectly normal...

NetBackup has more than one database for media - one for the hardware (volDB) that contains info such as pool, location, Assign status  (vmquery output). The other one is the mediaDB that is used to record information about tapes that have been used for backups (Assigned). That is what you see in bpmedialist output.
available_media combines these databases for it's output.

This TN describes the roles of the different databases: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH36276

volDB and mediaDB are rolled up into the EMM database since 6.0, but the priciples remain - separate tables for volumes and assigned tapes.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Another new list member who posted once and never came back to check for replies... sad crying