Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Remote Admin Console - Compatibility & Backup Agent

FujSOL
Level 4
Partner

Good Morning,

I have two questions about the NetBackup Remote Admin Console:

1) On installing 7.1 NBU Remote Admin Console onto a server which has the 6.0 Admin Console, is it backware compatible?

2) I read somewhere on the symmantec site that the Netbackup agent is installed on server where Netbackup Remote Admin console in installed? see

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO33548

Is this correct? I would like to think not wink

Thanks

FujSol

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As Marianne correctly says ... if you install the 7.1 Windows Remote Admin Console onto a Server that is running V6 it will upgrade that installation to V7.1.

The general rule of thumb is that the Windows Admin Console will only be of any use to you if it is the same Version as the Master down to the first two digits of the version (so 6.5 Master need 6.5 Admin Console, 7.0 needs 7.0, 7.1 needs 7.1 etc.)

If you are however talking about the Java Console then there are ways to have multiple versions installed on a PC.

The NetBackup Client is installed at the same time as the Windows Admin Console as it is required to communicate with the Master Server.

No licenses are required for this use but should you decide you wanted to back up the server or PC that the Admin Console is installed on you would require a license to do that

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not sure what this means?

"1) On installing 7.1 NBU Remote Admin Console onto a server which has the 6.0 Admin Console, is it backware compatible?"

My understanding is that it will upgrade the 6.0 version.
Are you asking if 7.1 as well as 6.0 master can be managed with this console?  Not sure... never tried it.
I install different Java Console versions (using different install folders) to manage different NBU version masters.

The TN is 100% correct.

"Installing the NetBackup Remote Administration Console installs the administration console and the client software. The presence of the client software enables the computer to be backed up like any other client. No master server software or media server software is installed."

I have installed NBU Admin console on my laptop and can back it up as a client.

The Java Console does not install any client software.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As Marianne correctly says ... if you install the 7.1 Windows Remote Admin Console onto a Server that is running V6 it will upgrade that installation to V7.1.

The general rule of thumb is that the Windows Admin Console will only be of any use to you if it is the same Version as the Master down to the first two digits of the version (so 6.5 Master need 6.5 Admin Console, 7.0 needs 7.0, 7.1 needs 7.1 etc.)

If you are however talking about the Java Console then there are ways to have multiple versions installed on a PC.

The NetBackup Client is installed at the same time as the Windows Admin Console as it is required to communicate with the Master Server.

No licenses are required for this use but should you decide you wanted to back up the server or PC that the Admin Console is installed on you would require a license to do that

Hope this helps