cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Tape Overwritten

Jameel_Naji
Level 0

Hi,

Maybe I’m asking a known question but I tried to read over and couldn’t find exactly what I need.
I’m using VERITAS Net Backup 4.5 for UNIX but I do have a GUI interface either.
I missed the backup yearly policy on last year due to an error in the tape drive but it’s working fine now. I did a manual backup for 2008 by (Backup, Archive, and Restore) three weeks ago but I believe it overwritten by another job later.
How can I know the contents (folders and whatever) of the tapes not the images.
Anyway, How can I make a backup for year 2008 or any backup without overwrite the tapes later by any other backup jobs.
3 REPLIES 3

Wily_Wombat
Level 2

Mate you need to upgrade to 6.x, but that aside.

The whole idea of netbackup is that it is meant to manage what goes where. You are not meant to care about which media is being used for what backup. Only that it is in the correct pool and has the correct retention period.

But if you want to know which backup in on which media then find the report which outlines the client backup time in regards to the media used ( I forget which one ). Then in the Backup, Archive and Restore window list the backup for the client in question. By already knowing the media used for the backup, you can then cross reference that with the filelist.

Please note, NetBackup will not overwrite a media until all images on the media are expired.

So, if you want to keep a backup for longer as a standard then set the retention in the policy schedule to a longer period. If you want to update the retention of a backup to be longer then originally defined, then run the images on media report and for the backup id ( Clientname_<10digit_number>) you want to hold longer  issue the command ../netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate -recalculate -backupid <backup-id> -d <date>

NOTE : BE CAREFUL, The bpexpdate command has the ability to immediately delete images as well as extend their life. Using '-d 0' will expire immediately.

Stumpr2
Level 6

If you suspend or freeze a tape after it has been written to then no other backups can write to that tape.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Not sure if you have the gui or not.

report "Images on Tape" put in your tape number.

it will show you what (un-expired) images you have on that tape. it will also tell you when the image is expected to expire.

so if you see your backup on the tape you know it is ok, if other backups wrote to it (and your first image is not expired) you will see them on the tape as well

command line:

Images on Media Report
The Images on Media report lists the contents of the media as recorded in the NetBackup image catalog. You can generate this report for any type of media (including disk) and filter it according to client, media ID, or path.
# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd
# ./bpimmedia -U [-client <client_name>] [-mediaid <media_id>]