cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup and Sun StorageTek Crypto Key Management Solution

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi All!

We want to implement NBU with KMS from StrorageTek for our T10000 drives.

We have one robotic device with half of the drives has encryption enabled and second half has no encryption.
Final target is to separate encryption-enabled drives from unencrypted ones. Tapes are not a problem at all as we can use barcode rules to put them to different pools so it's not a big deal.
But how to create two storage units using single media server? Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

zippy
Level 6
 If KMS is the one where the key is created on the NetBackup master server.

/usr/openv/netbackup/crypt

then
the key is on the master and then the same key is on the media server if you have 12 drives and 6 are attached to the media server will have the capability to encrypt data, the other media servers that see the rest of the 6 drives wil not encrypt data.

ok

Mouse
Sun KMS is an appliance which does the key management.
It is not a part of NBU.

I'm aware of NBU integrated KMS from 6.5.2, but this particular question is regarding Sun one...

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
but looking at this from a purely NB admin side, the only way I could see to create 2 separate storage units on a single media server, and keep specific tape drives for each, would be to set the drives up as different densities?

Mouse
The KMS is out of scope of NBU and I also see the assignment of different drive type to encrypted/unencrypted drives/tapes as only way so solve this puzzle...

Froule
Level 0

A close friend of mine once completely changed my life by showing me a website called https://cex.io/buy-usdc that buys, sells and exchanges cryptocurrencies. I think you should be interested.