cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup - backup staging for DR

JKIM1
Level 3

Hi,

I have a NetBackup 5220 appliance which works as Master and Media server at main site and another media server at DR site.

I'm looking to set up a basic disk staging unit for staging backup copies to DR media server.

My questions are;

1) If I click Staging Schedule and check Destination, I only see Master/medis server's storage unit as final destination.

I would like to simply have another copy to DR site, so in case of disaster, I would like to quickly set up a master server at DR site and recover catalog.

In this case, can I just use Multiple copies and configure two copies (Copy 1 for primary master/media unit, copy 2 for media server at DR site?

2) Is this a plausible solution? As I can't get another appliance for setting up Advanced disk/Puredisk at DR site for SLP/AIR. Basic disk staging would be my only viable solution at the moment.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

SLP/AIR is designed for DR purposes. Using the DSSU feature has very limited option. For short term DR I think you should look into SLP and advanced disk.

NetBackup 7.5 Best Practice - Using Storage Lifecycle Policies

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73205

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

SLP/AIR is designed for DR purposes. Using the DSSU feature has very limited option. For short term DR I think you should look into SLP and advanced disk.

NetBackup 7.5 Best Practice - Using Storage Lifecycle Policies

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73205

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You can do very little with basic disk i am afraid!

When using basic disk all of your data would get duplicated across the link so you would need to make sure your network team are happy with doing that!

If you have the licenses to use de-dupe and for another Media Server then it would be better to use the DR server as another Master Server and use AIR to replicate backup images across the sites.

You will get far more backups on disk that way and i cannot see that in licensing terms it would cost you any more?

It would also use a lot less bandwidth durung the replication.

Once done you wouldn't need to worry about catalog recovery either as all backups would be ready for immediate restore on the DR site.

Hope this helps

JKIM1
Level 3

Thanks for your reply.

Does de-dupe have limit on disk types for Puredisk?

At the moment, I have provisioned a lun from storage as one of partitions.

I believe I have license for setting up a Puredisk. I shall just re-build the media server into Master and Media server then.

Cheers!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The 'Puredisk' or dedupe license allows you to configure MSDP - Media Server Dedupe.

Requirements for MSDP server and storage is documented in NetBackup Deduplication Guide 

Please take your time and read through this doc before configuring MSDP.
Planning is key to successful (DIY) MSDP implementation.