cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup - pass through NB server to get to media server

carlcraven
Level 2
Currently I have a BEWS12 media server with locally attached fibre tape library - this works well!
If possible, I'd like to have a second server in a different domain use this library.
The idea would be for the second server to control the backups for its own domain and send the data to the primary server for backup to tape.

BEWS cannot do this but does anyone know if NetBackup can?
Any comments would be helpful.

cheers

Carl
2 REPLIES 2

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Hi,

You can do this sharing the library with Netbackup, you will only need to create some bar code rules, so you dont use the tapes that BEWS is using, this can be a catastrophe, also ensure you assign some exclusive drives for Netbackup and other for the other system, this way you can control the resources you have and if is posible you can repleace BEWS with a media server and assign the drives to thix box and let the old box be there just has a museum box for restores.

Hope this helps.
regards

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Other thing I just remember is that you can create logical libraries with some manufactures models has IBM3584's where you can split the library in multiple logical devices, which netbackup sees has phisical libraries, check with your library vendor and maybe you can get a better architecture and setup.