Netbackup 5.1 - Error 152 - Snapshot Error While Reading File

Steppo
Not applicable
Backup Server:

Veritas NetBackup 5.1
RedHat Linux 8
Pentium III 1GHz
1GB PC133 SDRAM
Sony AIT-3 Drive in Qualcom Silo (SCSI-3)

Backup Client:

Vertias NetBackup Client 5.1
Windows 2000 SP4 (fully updated)
Pentium 4 2.8GHz (Prescott, HT Enabled)
2GB PC2100 DDR RAM
300B SATA RAID-1

C:\ (OS) - 4GB (reads as 3.99GB)
G:\ (DATA) - 288GB

For the first few months of launching this new NetBackup client, we didn't have any problems. Once the client began to hold more than 150GB of data, we started getting a problem in NetBackup where the job (Full-weekly, or Full-monthly) would just error out, saying "Error 152 - Snapshot Error While Reading File (Random file listed)".

A diff-inc job will work.

At first glance, I thought it was the 1GB+ snapshot file that NB throws in C: during the backup procedure. It'll fill the hard drive, and my assumption was that once Windows tells the NB client that it can't write anymore, NB quits. Today, I cleared up a few hundred MB of storage, but that didn't make a difference.

So here are my questions:

1.) Why won't this backup complete? What's a snapshot error?
2.) If it has something to do with the snapshot file, how do I go about setting up the NB Client to put the file in the G: partition, where there's more wiggle room?
2 REPLIES 2

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Normally this is because it has run out of room for the snapshot file ( that keeps track of open files)

you can go to the client properties.

under windows client
     VSP

from there you can set the size to start and max size

you can also tell it to never put it on a drive like C (because you only have 100 mb free)

or you can tell it to always put it on the G drive (because you have 87 gig free)

also if this has been failing there may be old vsp files on your server that can be deleted.
(only delete them when no backups are running on that client)

quebek
   VIP    Certified
J. is right. There is no room to accodomate the filesystem changes and snapshot beign destroyed. Try to reschedule this backup when no activities are on filesystem, change the NIC connection to 1 Gbit to speed up backup - maybe snapshot will survive.
What you can do actually is to go to in JAVA GUI:
NetBackup Management/Host Properites/Master Server/YOUR_MASTER/
Than select Clients Attributes and add your client name and in the Windows Open File backup - select Disable snapshot and continue.

Some open files won't be backed up but the others will reach backup tape :).