cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.0 Remote NDMP

Altria
Level 3
I seem to be having issues with creating a backup for Remote NDMP from media server (Win2k3) to NAS filer (fas 270). Although I am able to add the filer as a host on NBU, whenever I query the filer from the clients section, I retirieve error (25) cannot connect on socket. The credentials and networking have to be correct as I was able to add the host. In addition I have ensured that NDMP is enabled on the filer. Is thier a certain license requirement for NBU 6.0 for NDMP? and would it show up on activated licenses?

Any assistance would be helpful
TIA

9 REPLIES 9

babyd
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
You need to add an active  NDMP license on Master Server to enable NDMP feature.

Altria
Level 3
Thanks for your response!

I was under the impression that he NDMP license came with base Enterprise Licenses install. Am i mistaken?

Thanks!

babyd
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
NDMP is not part of Base Enterprise License, it is an additional licence which enables the NDMP feature

dinesh_new
Level 3
Hi,

If there are two NAS filers, do we require 2 NDMP licenses?

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Its not based on COUNT.

dinesh_new
Level 3
Ok..so if i have one NDMP license installed on media server, i can backup any number of NDMP hosts..

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Yes !

stoneworks
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Karthikeyan you said above

YES to the quesion
so if i have one NDMP license installed on media server, i can backup any number of NDMP hosts..

But according to the Netbackup 7 document you need a NDMP license for each NAS

NetBackup for NDMP

NetBackup for NDMP provides reliable, high-performing backup and recovery services to tape or disk for NDMP-enabled devices. One NetBackup for NDMP license is required for each NDMP-enabled NAS requiring protection. NetBackup Enterprise Server and NetBackup Server can scale to protect an unlimited number of NDMP-enabled NAS devices.

Don_Peterson
Level 2
Accredited
Each physical NAS device that is backed up using NDMP must be licensed by purchasing a NetBackup for NDMP license. Purchasing a single NDMP license allows you to backup only one NDMP host (device). NetBackup for NDMP licenses are tiered (from 1 to 4) based on the capabilities of the NAS device.

NetBackup offers VTL-to-tape and OST-to-tape functionality, which utilizes NDMP as the protocol to manage duplications of backup images on VTL or OST devices directly to physical tape (assuming the VTL vendor or OST vendor supports the functionality). In those cases, even though the NDMP protocol is used, purchasing an NDMP license for the VTL or OST device is not necessary.