cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.0.1 Notify when tapes are Frozen Expired

curcloin
Level 4

I currently have a 10 tape drive(IBM) for tape storage management connected to my Nebackup 7.0.1 application.  We are using DSSU for duplication policy and have continued to run into issues with the duplications failing because of no media available in the tape drive.  After looking deaper we noticed that Netbackup marked some of the tapes Frozen Expired.  Is it possible to create a notification when a tape is Frozen or Frozen expired while in the drive?  Even tell us prior to trying to use it.  I currently run the tape list report and have removed tapes marked Frozen Expired.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Best to catch tapes as and when they get frozen.

You can have a look at OpsCentre reports or else check Media Logs report every day or once a week with the past week as selection criteria. Filter out Info to get warning and error logs.

Ensure logs are enabled on media servers as per above posts for further troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

There really is not a report that NetBackup has. You would need to script it. Here is a post with a script that might help, but really this is going to come down to why is your media frezzing? Freezing media is a safety measure taken by the NetBackup application to help prevent further errors, drive damage, or possible data loss.

Look at TECH21473. It outlines steps to troubleshoot frozen media. 

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you are having OpsCenter server then you can add Alert policy for frozen medias and trigger  an email notification for the same.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Really you need to Fox the problem, a report isn't a fix, although it could be a temp workaround. 

Bptm log would be a good place to start, see the link in my signature to set up the bptm and volmgr logs.

bptm

robots

tpcommand

System logs

I'd also add the drive and robot touch files

netbackup/db/media/errors file might show some history of the problem, particularly if it is just one drive causing the issue.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Best to catch tapes as and when they get frozen.

You can have a look at OpsCentre reports or else check Media Logs report every day or once a week with the past week as selection criteria. Filter out Info to get warning and error logs.

Ensure logs are enabled on media servers as per above posts for further troubleshooting.