cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.0 backward compatibility with Windows NT SP6?

elanmbx
Level 6

Ahhh - so I recently discovered the existence of a half dozen Windows NT SP6 servers in our enterprise.  I am wondering if anyone has had *any* luck running backups of Windows NT SP6 machines with Netbackup 7.0 master/media servers?  Does the v.5 client agent work?  If not... has anyone had any luck installing and getting a 6.x agent to work?  I'm really hoping that this isn't going to be a show-stopper for me.  Any experiences/advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Correct, 5.x was the last NBU version to support NT4.
Unfortunately NBU7 only supports version 7 and 6.x clients.
Extract from NBU7 Release Notes:

ScreenHunter_03 Feb. 24 22.39.gif

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

creany
Level 3
afternoon

I believe v5 client was the last compatible verion with NT4.

I also remember from v6.5 upgrade that a client can be up to two full versions behind master server so on this assumption it should be compatible. We had v4 clients backing up to v6.5 master servers until they got upgraded.

creany

Marianne
Correct, 5.x was the last NBU version to support NT4.
Unfortunately NBU7 only supports version 7 and 6.x clients.
Extract from NBU7 Release Notes:

ScreenHunter_03 Feb. 24 22.39.gif

elanmbx
Level 6
Thanks for the responses so far - I am aware that this is going to be an unsupported configuration if we go there... but I want to make a best-effort to find out if the 5.x client will actually work with a 7.0 master/media configuration.  This would give our Intel team a little breathing room to retire these NT servers.

If it doesn't work... I may have to tell them they'll have to swing in the wind after our 7.0 upgrade. :)

elanmbx
Level 6
I guess another thought would be does the 6.x client work on Windows NT SP6?  Even if it was unsupported by Symantec I'd be OK with it as long as it runs backups OK.

Any ideas?

Marianne
6.x client won't install on NT4.

Mouse
In case of flat file backup it probably will work. You can always have workaround with 6.5 media server that can back up 5.x clients (little bit unsupported but works)
Recently I've seen 6.5.5 server backing up client of version 4.5GA, without any issues :) 

elanmbx
Level 6
Thanks all - as it turns out apparently they're going to turn the NT4 boxes into virtual machines so my "issue" may be moot!