cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7 Deduplication

digicelfwi
Level 4

Hi everybody,

Could someone confirm those points on NB7 deduplication please ?

I upgraded my master server from 6.5.5 to 7 and I installed a new mediaserver NB7 with deduplication option.
The robot storage unit has been successfully add on the master.

In this post https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/fr/forums/65-vs-70-puredisk-integration-etc, Marek explained that NB7 setup deduplication which is performed on the client and that pddo is integrated with NB client.

My questions now are about deduplication :

I have a SAN storage throught FT connected on my media wich I successfully mounted it on a drive.
I used the wisard "Configure Disk Storage Servers" and configure my media as storage server, storage server type "Advanced Disk" on the drive. Will deduplication option be available in my case?

If I install a new client NB7, will I have a first deduplication on the client then a global deduplication on the media ?

If a client has a previous version, will I have global deduplication on the media ?

Many thanks for any clarification.

J.

Ooooops, created an AdvancedDisk instead of MediaServer Dedupication pool, I am changing this .... Netbackup deduplication guide helps :p

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Attached within is the document which will help you configure dedupe on NBU 7 - step by step

Note : Keep your PDDO data and DB both on different path, the one which will be for PDDO pool

Bear with my document as this is only screenshots, I have not crafted that :)

hope this helps...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I'm currently attending TSPP NBU 7 Differences training.

It was explicitly mentioned that dedup is not available for SAN Clients since 'network' is required for dedup.

I will try and get documentation on this.

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Attached within is the document which will help you configure dedupe on NBU 7 - step by step

Note : Keep your PDDO data and DB both on different path, the one which will be for PDDO pool

Bear with my document as this is only screenshots, I have not crafted that :)

hope this helps...

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified
It's important to note that PDDO stands for "PureDisk Deduplication Option"

If you don't have or utilize PureDisk then you wouldn't go that route to set it up.

digicelfwi
Level 4

@Tim ... You are right, a mediaserver deduplication pool was what I needed.

@Deepak, Thanks a lot for your screenshot, can't be better.

I finaly succeeded to create it but I had a problem :

On first creation I had an error ioctl then on retry I had an authorization problem :

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/fr/blogs/storage-server-configuration-wizard-rdsm-has-encountered-sts-error-ioctl-failed-2060017

I had to apply the support note bellow to resolve my problem :

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/346814.htm

Thanks again for your precious help.