cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7 Windows Client backup issue

Chris_Evans
Level 3
Partner
We've recently deployed a Netbackup 7 environment on a Windows 2008 R2 server. When we configure a basic c:\ backup we're are getting successful backups, but when we look at the amount of data backed up it is incorrect. We are seeing a C:\ drive with 8.5GB of Data, backing up on 1.8GB. We are seeing this across server clients. Win 2003 looks a little better but i'm still not getting file for file. When we browse the restore client we don't see a complete directory and file structure.

We were using VSS snapshots, but diabled that, client side depuplication, multiple streams, and are using a basic disk as a target.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? This is my first production environment with NB7 (used Netbackup for 7 years prior).

Thanks

Chris
5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is C:\Backup a mount point? If so, select 'Cross mountpoints' in the policy attributes.
Another possibility is user access rights - ensure the logon service used for the NBU Client Service has sufficient read access to backup all data specified in policy.

Chris_Evans
Level 3
Partner
No, the basckup to disk location is on a seperate media server. I've modified the client service to use a domain admin account which will give it full permissions to the local file system, but I still get the same result.

Chris_Evans
Level 3
Partner
I am seeing a lot of these type of exclusions in the backup job

12:33:30 INF - Filtered 'BEDS Exclude' Object: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe

They do all appear to relate to Windows operating system files.

I really just need to confirm if I have to recover a server i'm not going to end up in a bunch of trouble.

Dave_Drummond
Level 3
I think you need to use VSS and backup the System State or Shadow Copy Components (see thread about this) to ensure the operating system and other shadow copy components are backed up or to be sure use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and exclude any drives you don't want to backup.

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

The largest part of Windows 2008 R2 backup is System State / Shadow Copy Compoments. If you specify only C: as a backup selection only small amount of data will be included in backup. Try with ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES