cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup DSSU Error

moldor
Level 2

I've inherited a Netbackup system from someone who didn't believe in documentation or recording configuration changes, and I am having a MAJOR pain with it.

Here's the config; Netbackup 6.0 MP6, LTO3 tape drive, appropriate clients on all servers.

The nightly backups to disk are running OK, a;though the start windows overlap and sometimes I have to kick-start them manually - this I can live with for the moment.

However the DSSU policy doesn't seem to want to run. It is scheduled to run daily if the DSSU is 75%+ full.

Here's how I understand it should work (and please feel free to correct me if I'm misguided);

* Policies run nightly from client servers and backup to the DSSU

* When DSSU is (current setting) 75% full, it writes the oldest images to tape and after verification deletes them.

Is there a way I can force the DSSU policy to run manually ?  The _DSSU_ Policy job starts, but everything else shows up queued and goes nowhere. I'm rapidly running out of space on the backup server !!!

Can the DSSU Policy schedule run at the same time as backups from the client servers ?

Any help greatly aprpedciated.

Jon

P.S. Upgrading to 6.5 is, for the moment, out of the question for "political" reasons... do *not* get me started !@!!

5 REPLIES 5

slevans
Level 4

To force the DSSU to write to tape from the GUI.

Click Storage Units -> Click the STU in question -> Right Click -> Choose Manual Relocation.

The job should now start.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

Alongwith manual relocation to Final destination. You may want to lower your high water mark and low water mark.

The relocation jobs will remain queued if you do not have tape drive or whatever media you are using as final destination. Check the availability. 

moldor
Level 2
Current hi/low is set at 75/50 - what would you suggest is a reasonable figure ?

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
It depends upon how big is your DSSU and the size of your backup for any given day. All you want is enough enough room available for any given day and for that hiwatermark and low watermark need to set appropriately.

moldor
Level 2

**bleep** thing is getting bigger and bigger - actually replacing the server shortly with something that has at least 5 - 6Tb of storage..:-)

Current DSSU is around 1.8Tb, and we're using a stand-alone tape (LTO3, 800Gb). I want to keep it on one tape, so I'd guess 60/20 would be a good figure.

**bleep**, I *need* a tape robot !!! The company insists on full backups every night for DR purposes.