cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup KB/Sec:

Jeremiah_Window
Level 2

Using WIndows 2K3 E Server, HP MSL6k TLD, with NBU 6.5 and my backups are writting at the bit  at an average of  KB/Sec: 6851. The job is only 228G of data on a LTO4 1.6TB compressed drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
That is something I am happy with.

I have to remember - that I send more then one stream to a tape drive.

so job 1 goes to drive - then it gathers more info
job 2 goes to drive - then it gathers more info
job 3 goes to drive - then it gathers more info
jobs 4 goes to drive - the it gathers more info
jobs 1 goes to drive again

So my tape drives is getting great usage, but the jobs may have a little delay while they wait their turn to go to the drive.   This results in slower speed.

If you really want to test. send one job to a tape drive and see if you get better speed.

If any one big job ( meaning more then just a few meg for a job) is below 1000 I start to worry and look look into issues.

Some jobs get 32000 kbps some get 6000 kbps - based on network card on server and size of server and how many jobs are using the tape.

Watch your jobs and learn what your standard seems to be, then watch for changes.  You can try to inprove with tuning.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

David_McMullin
Level 6
Are you bragging or complaining?  LOL

I see a wide variety of speeds from my windows clients, mostly due to file locking.
Some are hundreds of KB/Sec. 6851 KB/Sec over network is not unreasonable.

I am moving to VMWare since the backup speeds are fiber - closer to 70,000 KB/Sec

Jeremiah_Window
Level 2
LOL...Complianing! So this speed is normal for backups?

MattS
Level 6
Its windows, but lots of other factors come into play.  I see up to 60MB/s on our exchange servers, but most others average your speed.  I would check out this guide http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/307083.htm

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
That is something I am happy with.

I have to remember - that I send more then one stream to a tape drive.

so job 1 goes to drive - then it gathers more info
job 2 goes to drive - then it gathers more info
job 3 goes to drive - then it gathers more info
jobs 4 goes to drive - the it gathers more info
jobs 1 goes to drive again

So my tape drives is getting great usage, but the jobs may have a little delay while they wait their turn to go to the drive.   This results in slower speed.

If you really want to test. send one job to a tape drive and see if you get better speed.

If any one big job ( meaning more then just a few meg for a job) is below 1000 I start to worry and look look into issues.

Some jobs get 32000 kbps some get 6000 kbps - based on network card on server and size of server and how many jobs are using the tape.

Watch your jobs and learn what your standard seems to be, then watch for changes.  You can try to inprove with tuning.

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
You need to make sure that you are getting enough data to the drive at a time to prevent "shoe shining".  This means that the drive has to keep stopping because it's not getting enough data fast enough to write to tape.  A solution to this would be multiplexing a few jobs to the same drive. 

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified
We usually send all Wintel backup to VTL (DSSU is an option too). Don't expect great backup speed when it comes to Wintel boxes. File system traversing overhead is a key factor in backup speed fall.

David_McMullin
Level 6
Agree with Anton - we had to multiplex 6 to 12 windows backups to drive our tapes, we moved to a VTL and now we can let them take their time and then duplicate to tape using SLP.