cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Queries

Ravi_Kumar_L
Level 4

1.          Is it possible to erase media directly even the media is asigned or media with active images, if not required.

2.          Is it possible to de-assign a media by force, even the images are active, if not required.

3.          How to find volume / tape's free space / usage details.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,

Ravi Kumar L

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Opss Mark and I have different answers - I think we  can both be correct depending on how you understand the question. ...

1.  I am correct if using only,  correct supported NetBackup commands.

Mark is correct if you do 'incorrect' unsupport procedures.  For example, I could use the tar command to overwrite a tape - this 'erases the data' in a way, but causes issues in the NBU catalog.

2.  The command I gave, causes the media to deassign and be removed from NBU media database, (but not the volume database).

3.  The amount of data depends on factors 100% outside of netbackup.

The bpmedia list command I gave gives simlar information to what is seen in the GUI, as mentioned by Mark.

Example

rdgv240sol22 # bpmedialist
Server Host = rdgv21-22

id     rl  images   allocated        last updated      density  kbytes restores
           vimages   expiration       last read         <------- STATUS ------->
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DE0024   0     42   10/31/2011 18:00  01/23/2012 18:01    dlt2     3532210     0
                       3    01/30/2012 18:01  11/16/2011 15:45

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1. Yes - but this leaves a mis-match in your catalog

2. Yes - it deassigns it and removes its images from the catalog

3. Free space you can never really tell as it all depends on the level of compression obtained. Used space and number of images can be seen in the Admin Console in the Media Section where you can see the kilobytes written and number of images on the tape.

Hope this helps

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No, you have to deassign / expire images.

Yes,  bpexpdate -m <media id > -d 0

Multiple ways - bpmedialist -m <media id> works 

Martin

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Apologies - Martin is correct - it will only allow you to erase if it has no valid images on it

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Opss Mark and I have different answers - I think we  can both be correct depending on how you understand the question. ...

1.  I am correct if using only,  correct supported NetBackup commands.

Mark is correct if you do 'incorrect' unsupport procedures.  For example, I could use the tar command to overwrite a tape - this 'erases the data' in a way, but causes issues in the NBU catalog.

2.  The command I gave, causes the media to deassign and be removed from NBU media database, (but not the volume database).

3.  The amount of data depends on factors 100% outside of netbackup.

The bpmedia list command I gave gives simlar information to what is seen in the GUI, as mentioned by Mark.

Example

rdgv240sol22 # bpmedialist
Server Host = rdgv21-22

id     rl  images   allocated        last updated      density  kbytes restores
           vimages   expiration       last read         <------- STATUS ------->
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DE0024   0     42   10/31/2011 18:00  01/23/2012 18:01    dlt2     3532210     0
                       3    01/30/2012 18:01  11/16/2011 15:45

Regards,

Martin

Amaan
Level 6

Your question has been answered. Mark it as resolved.

Amaan
Level 6

Actually you can see tape usage details from OpsCenter as well if you are using it of course.