cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Restore process (LAN/SAN)

epsilon22222
Level 4

Hey all,

I was wondering if I could divulge any information regarding the approach that Netbackup takes upon restoring.  I would just like clarification on the concept in general and specifically how the transportation is selected when restoring.

1.) The media server that was used to backup the data is used to restore the data, correct?

2.) If we want to restore data from one media server to another, Netbackup would use the initial media server that backed up the data to restore to the new destination, correct? And from this perspective, Netbackup would use the initial media server and then restore over the ethernet LAN, correct?

3.) The only way to restore data to a client destination using the SAN would be to use the Fibre Transport licensing/setup, correct?

As you can see, I'm just trying to clarify when/how data is restored over the LAN versus the SAN. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

1) Correct - that is the default.

2) Another media server can be selected for the restore with Media Host Override option in Master server Host Properties. So, another media server can be selected to restore data directly to that media server using SAN transport.

Alternatively media ownership can be changed to new media server:
bpmedia -m <media-id> -newserver <new-server> -oldserver <original-server>

3) Correct.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

1) Correct - that is the default.

2) Another media server can be selected for the restore with Media Host Override option in Master server Host Properties. So, another media server can be selected to restore data directly to that media server using SAN transport.

Alternatively media ownership can be changed to new media server:
bpmedia -m <media-id> -newserver <new-server> -oldserver <original-server>

3) Correct.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Quick summary:

1. Yes, by default - though you can create an Alternate Restore Group and add all media server servers to it

2. Again yes - but 1. above could help if you used a Group

3. Again yes - either Fibre Transport or a VMWare restore could go over the SAN - this is further controlled in the Master Server host properties - Fibre Transport section where you can decide how backup and restore data should travel for SAN Clients - so you could force a SAN client not to use the SAN at all!

Hope this helps

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

in additions to above 2 posts.. 

1.) The media server that was used to backup the data is used to restore the data, correct?

this is not default when you are using Open storage , see the below technote

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH87200

epsilon22222
Level 4

Thanks all! The override option is exactly what I was looking for.  I appreciate the timely responses!