Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup can't backup ~$arquive.docx - Office temp files

William_S__Gome
Level 3

Hi all!

I'm running Netbackup 7.5.0.7 and I'm receiving this error:

Warning bpbrm(pid=6384) from client brspobkp02: WRN - can't open file: <Local>\~$<file>.xlsx (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )

This error started 1 month ago, at the beginning was 1 or 2 files, but now it's increasing, now I receive more than 20 erros... all from office temp files.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You can just put an exclude in the clients list for ~$* which will exclude all of them (no path at all just the ~$*) but sometimes that sort of wildcard does not work - you would have to test it - maybe use ~$*.docx, ~$*.xlsx etc.

Of course a Status 1 is not a "failure" just a warning message so should not be classed as failures in your reports.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

What is the policy type used to backup these files? Since this .xlsx file is open at the time of backup, the NetBackup processes gets denied when tring to read it. It is recommended to use VSS for Windows Open File Backups. 

Also you may want to look into why office is leaving the temp files behind, I thought those are usually auto deleted.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What about excluding the temp files ?

I see no case where you would restore a temp file.

Certain process locked files are difficult to backup - even with VSS running.

William_S__Gome
Level 3

I'm using VSS.

Those temp office files are temp files from the opened ones. When the user closes the document, they will be deleted, Its not a problem with office or FS that holds the temp files, I tested it.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would simply exclude the folder the folder(s) where users' temp files are created.

I cannot see how backed up temp files have any use...

William_S__Gome
Level 3

There is no use, but I dont want some erros in my log.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That is why we suggest that the location where Office temp files are stored be excluded for all user profiles.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Take a look at this tech note on how to exclude files from backup

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34243

By excluding office temp files the backup will exit status code 0 and not with status code 1.

William_S__Gome
Level 3

Guys... Can I create a rule to exclude\bypass files iniated by "~$". Because the problem ins't with a specific folder or file. Exemple:

DAY1: The user forgot to close a XLSX from FS\A\B\C\FILE.XLSX. The Office created the temp file ~$file.XLSX in the same structure (FS\A\B\C\~$file.xlsx)

The log shows an error when trying to backup FS\A\B\C\~$file.xlsx.

DAY2: That user closed FILE.XLSX and Office deleted the temp file, but another user forgot to close a DOCX file from FS\Z\W\document.DOCX and Office created the ~$Document.DOCX on the same structure (FS\Z\W\~$document.DOCX)

The log shows an error when trying to backup the FS\Z\W\~$document.DOCX, and doesn't shows erros for the file ~$file.XLSX from the last backup, because it was deleted automaticaly by Office.

I have no problem not being able to backup those temp files, but I have problens during my reports, everyday I need to explain the errors, and in the monthly report, the numbers shows the backup was failed in general. Is a % of fininshed with no errors and with erros.

@Nicolai

Thx for the link but i can't apply this solution in a FS, the only solution (workarround) I can see is to bypass files initiated by ~$ or a correctly solution.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You can just put an exclude in the clients list for ~$* which will exclude all of them (no path at all just the ~$*) but sometimes that sort of wildcard does not work - you would have to test it - maybe use ~$*.docx, ~$*.xlsx etc.

Of course a Status 1 is not a "failure" just a warning message so should not be classed as failures in your reports.

William_S__Gome
Level 3

Thx all for the help.