cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup client and server connectivity

giri_b
Level 4

Hi all,

I am a novice in backup administration and need help from you experts..

Environment:

netbackup enterprise server 7 (windows) in xyz.com domain

suse linux 32 bit client (v 6.5) in abc.com domain

the client is not visible to the server but i am able to ping the client from the server and vice versa.. When trying to find the client from the netbackup administration console it gives the error "cannot connect on socket". As of now the client is not visible to the server and has not been configured yet..

Kindly help..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

"As of the now name resolution is not happening..."

"Can u people list me the steps...."

The only 'step-by-step' guide that I'm aware of is contained in Symantec classroom training manuals.

If you cannot book yourself on a training course, best to make use of services offered by Symantec partners who will do the installation and configuration and at the same time do knowledge transfer.

The other option is to start reading manuals - Installation Guide, Device Configuration Guide, Admin Guide, Troubleshooting Guide.

Steps are more or less as follows (single master/media server backing up network clients; after confirming all compatibility guides):

• Install Server software
  • Configure bakup devices (tape or disk)
  • Configure Storage Units (logical grouping of backup devices)
  • If tape, add media (decide on volume pools before adding media)
  • Install client software
  • Ensure proper name resolution between server and clients (forward and reverse lookup)
  • Review backup requirements (backup selection, schedules, retentions)
  • Create backup policies
  • Test backups

Please consider the following extract from Admin Guide I under 'About the Clients tab' heading:

• Use a name by which the server knows the client (one that you can use on the server to ping or telnet to the client).
  • If the client is in multiple policies, use the same name in each policy.
  • If the network configuration has multiple domains, use a more qualified name. For example, use client1.null.com or client1. null rather than only client1.

Name resolution is a TCP/IP function and is normally done via DNS or hosts files (Windows: (normally) C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts ;  Unix: /etc/hosts).

All NBU 7 manuals can be found here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126327

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6

Do you ping using hostname or IP address? NBU needs to resolve hostname to IP address and IP back to hostname.

Easiest solution is to add hosts entries for one another.

When done, do the following connectivity test from server:

bptestbpcd -client <client_name> -verbose

Remember to create a bpcd log directory on the client before running bptestbpcd. If the test fails, please post contents of bpcd log.

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

Also ensure your master server can telnet to the bpcd (13782) port on the client to see if a firewall rule may be blocking access

giri_b
Level 4

Hi there is no firewall rule enabled as of now and there is no port blocking..

Marianne
Level 6

Have you tried bptestbpcd yet?

It might be a name resolution problem - bpcd log will confirm that after you've tried bptestbpcd.

giri_b
Level 4

As of the now name resolution is not happening and i use the IP to ping the server..Can u people list me the steps ( like installing software, creating policy etc  in order) involved for the implementation of Netbackup solution. I have installed the server and client agents. the environment consists of about 100 Linux servers in VMware environment , 10 solaris servers ,10 windows server, an IBM TS3200 Tape library and a Sepaton VTL. the backup strategy is to have a simple LAN based backup rather than the regular backup solution for vMware environment.

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6

"As of the now name resolution is not happening..."

"Can u people list me the steps...."

The only 'step-by-step' guide that I'm aware of is contained in Symantec classroom training manuals.

If you cannot book yourself on a training course, best to make use of services offered by Symantec partners who will do the installation and configuration and at the same time do knowledge transfer.

The other option is to start reading manuals - Installation Guide, Device Configuration Guide, Admin Guide, Troubleshooting Guide.

Steps are more or less as follows (single master/media server backing up network clients; after confirming all compatibility guides):

• Install Server software
  • Configure bakup devices (tape or disk)
  • Configure Storage Units (logical grouping of backup devices)
  • If tape, add media (decide on volume pools before adding media)
  • Install client software
  • Ensure proper name resolution between server and clients (forward and reverse lookup)
  • Review backup requirements (backup selection, schedules, retentions)
  • Create backup policies
  • Test backups

Please consider the following extract from Admin Guide I under 'About the Clients tab' heading:

• Use a name by which the server knows the client (one that you can use on the server to ping or telnet to the client).
  • If the client is in multiple policies, use the same name in each policy.
  • If the network configuration has multiple domains, use a more qualified name. For example, use client1.null.com or client1. null rather than only client1.

Name resolution is a TCP/IP function and is normally done via DNS or hosts files (Windows: (normally) C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts ;  Unix: /etc/hosts).

All NBU 7 manuals can be found here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126327

giri_b
Level 4

Thanks ...