Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Oracle Agent

johan_svs
Level 2

Hello,

Linux x86

I have succesfully installed NetBackup Client and MP5, it works good

Now i need Oracle agent because im going to restore Oracle Database from tape, so i installed it, no errors, then i installed /usr/openv/netbackup/dbext, no errors

Ive also configured bp.conf, i can contact the netbackup admin server, i think ive done everything i need, or is it more?

I am doing this to confirm however netbackup works, and i got this error in Oracle RMAN:

RMAN> allocate channel for maintenance type 'SBT_TAPE';

using target database control file instead of recovery catalog
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03009: failure of allocate command on ORA_MAINT_SBT_TAPE_1 channel at 05/14/2010 11:27:34
ORA-19554: error allocating device, device type: SBT_TAPE, device name:
ORA-27211: Failed to load Media Management Library

What else can i do to proceed troubleshooting this? The ordinary functions of Netbackup Client (filesystem backup etc) is fine and working good.

Thanks for your help, Johan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6
typically means the oracle_link needs to be done

try shutting down all oracle instances and running oracle_link again on the client
create the dbclient logs directory as rj says above and
bring oracle back up and try another backup
if it fails again review the dbclient log file for additional clues

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

MP5 of which NBU version? If we know which NBU version we can provide a link to the NBU for Oracle Admin Guide.
Seems you have missed the 'oracle_link' step. This will link the Oracle libobk to the NBU for Oracle library.
Best if you read the section in the manual. Herewith link to 6.5 manual: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/290216.pdf

johan_svs
Level 2

I fogot to write the oracle_link step, i did it also with sucess

[root@pkdora01 dbext]# cat /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version
NetBackup-RedHat2.4 6.0MP5

[root@pkdora01 dbext]# cat OEBU.linux2.4.version
NetBackup-OEBU-RedHat2.4 6.0
[root@pkdora01 dbext]#

rjrumfelt
Level 6

I see that you are using NBU 6.0 MP5.  There are later versions of Oracle that I dont think are compatible.

I assume your master server is patched to the same level?

Also, have you created the dbclient directory on the Oracle server under <install_path>/openv/netbackup/logs/?  If not do this and add the verbose setting to your bp.conf, retry the backup and post the contents of the dbclient log here.

Will_Restore
Level 6
typically means the oracle_link needs to be done

try shutting down all oracle instances and running oracle_link again on the client
create the dbclient logs directory as rj says above and
bring oracle back up and try another backup
if it fails again review the dbclient log file for additional clues

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Summary of what you need to do:
  1. Verify that your version of Oracle is supported with the NBU version: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/279048.pdf
  2. Install the NBU for Oracle patch as well - the Oracle agent needs to be patched to the same level as the NBU client agent. http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290362.htm
  3. Check that oracle_link completed successfully by following the steps in NBU for Oracle Admin Guide - read through the steps on how to link Oracle manually - verify that the link was successfully created in the correct folder.

Renan_Reyes
Level 3
Partner
Hi Marriane ,

I have a problem in creating Oracle Backup template

I Have Betbackup 7.0 (Windows Master Server) and netbackup7 for AIX as a client wth Oracle  database

i have successfully run "oracle_link"  but when i tried to create the backup template I am not able to browse or see the instance on the backup archaive and restore console. 

user name used to link : Oracle

what could be the possible problem and solution for this?

need help :( thanks

logs during oracle link

Wed Jul  7 20:50:15 TAIST 2010
All Oracle instances should be shutdown before running this script.
Please log into the Unix system as the Oracle owner for running this script
Do you want to continue? (y/n) [n] y
LIBOBK path: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin
ORACLE_HOME: /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0
Oracle version: 9.2.0.8.0
Linking LIBOBK:
Moving libobk.a to libobk.a.back
ln -s /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/libobk.a64 /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/lib/
libobk.a
Done

NOTE: I have created a new discussion for this case just incase I am in a wrong thread.   

araj
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Comments as follows:

I have a tape which contains data of Oracle, I have installed a Netbackup 7 on windows 2008, with oracle 10G and RMAN configured.

This tape has been backed up using Red Hat Linux 5, I need to restore the contents from the tape.

I need to understand, is it possible to restore the oracle data on windows 2008, which is backed up by Linux.

Please let me know the procedures to restore oracle files on Windows 2008 Server.

I have installed Oracle 10G Server for windows version on windows 2008, where Netbackup is installed.

Regards,

Allwyn Raj