cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup immediate job initiation using commands

tarladak
Level 4

I have following requirement in Windows2008 R2 - Netbakup 7.5 , tried many ways to convince the client for other plans but below requirement I need to implement

1. Stop the application
  2. Take application folder to disk level backups on the same server – Z:\Backup
  3. Start application
  4. Take files in the Z:\Backup to tape from media server

I am following below process

1. Create a policy with automatic schedules for disk backup for step2 in above requirement
  2. Create a policy with schedule and without backup window for tape backup for step4 in above requirement
  3. Add the command to stop the application in bpstart_notify.bat and copy the file into bin directory in client
  4. Add the commands to bpend_notify.bat
  1. Command for application start
  2. Cd\program files\veritas\netbackup\bin
  3. bpbackup -i -p <policy_name> -s <schedule_name>

I have tested it it is working fine for now.

Please let me know if anything wrong in the above process or in future any problem i will face? and also any prerequisite I need to take before implementing it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Is the backup policy multi-streamed?

If so, you will need to be careful re 'mutiple' - and also possibly 'concurrent' too - instances of 'bpstart_notify' running.

If it is multi-streamed then you may need to check the 'STREAM_COUNT' and/or 'STREAM_NUMBER' environment variables, and implement some kind of coding/logic so that the script can decide what to do, if anything, or simply exit quietly from bpstart_notify.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

I don't understand. You say "Create a policy with automatic schedules for disk backup for step2 in above requirement", which means the client is a media server and you're backing it up to its own disk?

If not, what is the storage location in policy 1?

tarladak
Level 4

Hi Riaan,

Yes, For step2 - client is the media server(which has disk-Storage uint is disk) and for step4 i will use another media server which has tape library connected.

Regards,

Kiran Tarlada

RiaanBadenhorst

Ok,

You don't need step 2. You don't need to backup the backup. What you want to do is duplicate the backup image (on disk storage unit) to tape (on other media server). Depending on your license you can do this with SLP or Vault, or you could even just setup a DSSU (Disk storage unit that periodically writes its data to another storage unit, like a tape) to push the data to tape.

tarladak
Level 4

Hi Riaan,

Actual requirement is to reduce the application down time and immediately write to tape, DSSU will have watermark concepts.. Also we have only base license and client is not ready to invest anything.

Regards,

Kiran Tarlada.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You can set the watermark to something low like 10%. If you write 20% in one backup it will immediately duplicate to tape.

tarladak
Level 4

Hi Riaan,

Thank you for your suggestions looks perfect, I will try to convince my client. In worst case is there any problem to implement first plan.

I am dealing with though client and they want to follow thier plan only but i will try this time.

sdo

Is the backup policy multi-streamed?

If so, you will need to be careful re 'mutiple' - and also possibly 'concurrent' too - instances of 'bpstart_notify' running.

If it is multi-streamed then you may need to check the 'STREAM_COUNT' and/or 'STREAM_NUMBER' environment variables, and implement some kind of coding/logic so that the script can decide what to do, if anything, or simply exit quietly from bpstart_notify.

sdo

@tarladak,

FYI - I've just had an example of a Windows script for bpstart_notify published here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/example-netbackup-bpstartnotify-script-take-opscenter-server-database-backup

...which may (or may not) help you...

...but I do HTH.