cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup job issue with Standalone drive.

Dan_Butts
Level 3

I recently deployed to a remote site Netbackup 6.5.3 with a standalone drive and I am having jobs fail with the following message.

7/1/2009 7:00:00 PM - awaiting resource Any
A pending request has been generated for this resource request.
Operator action may be required. Pending Action: No action.,
Media ID: WK1WED, Barcode: --------, Density: hcart, Access Mode: Write,
Action Drive Name: N/A, Action Media Server: N/A, Robot Number: N/A, Robot Type: NONE,
Volume Group: ---, Action Acs: N/A, Action Lsm: N/A
client backup was not attempted because backup window closed(196)

What is the executable that I can use to create a script that allow netbackup to use the tape in the drive?

4 REPLIES 4

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
 Its seems like you have scheduled the backup to run but when time arrives it tried to search out media and not able to find the media.

in sometime as the time window got closed, job got failed with 196

Will_Restore
Level 6

is that like the Any key?  :)

Your tape must be in the pool listed in the Netbackup Policy, or in Scratch pool.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Mounted or loaded media on a tape drive fails to be used for a backup, even though the media meets all the correct criteria for that backup (important with Standalone tape drives).

seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/270534.htm

check that the tape you have fits - as the doc says not frozen or suspended, if it has backups on it are they of the same retention period?  If not, do you allow mixed retentions on the same tape.

Is it asking for the tape that is in the drive, or for a different tape?

Dan_Butts
Level 3
Right now we have 5 jobs, 1 for each day of the week with 5 media pools for each day of the week. With 4 tapes in each media pool for 4 weeks, and I also have a script that will freeze and un freeze tapes so we can have a 4 week rotation. So Policy Monday uses Pool Monday and so on. All tapes are new tapes that have been labeled via the command line. We just started with Week 1 where Monday and Tuesday worked then Wednesday did not. All policies backup 4 clients, the local server and 3 servers on the LAN.

I left the resource Any because truly there is only 1 drive so did not think that would be an issue. I don’t believe there is a scheduling conflicted because there is only 1 job per day and it backs up all our clients.

I have had issues Freezing our media via the GUI and sometimes the command line. I get EMM 196 errors when freezing media.